KEVY089 Locost build.

Bob Tucker

Hi Kev,

you have posted your thread in a RHOCAR members only area.

You are missing out on a wealth of experience from past members and non-members, who cant post there.

Better to post in the open parts of the forum for any further queries.

HTH Bob

It's in the same area as all the other build threads. This was previously only visible to club members and was recently opened up as 'read only' in an attempt to try and show a bit more of the forum to non-members and try and encourage people to consider joining.

Whilst I agree that non-members have useful input to the forum, there has to be some difference in the access given to members and non-members or there's even less reason for people to join.

Our primary goal is to increase total membership and this can only come about in 2 ways. First to attract new members and second to retain the members that we currently have. We hoped that opening up read access to the build threads would attract the first group of people but it would be expecting a lot of current members if we asked them to continue to contribute financially towards the upkeep of the forum and then offered non-members exactly the same access rights.

• Like 2

JC. What a silly rule. Are we really saying you can't play unless you pay.

Another way of putting it is that all the diagrams, knowledge and advice I have posted over the 16 years I have been a member can now only be bought by those who it might help.

I don't pay my membership to read the website. I pay it because I want to be a member of Rhocar, the club and for the friends/acquaintances I see at the shows. The internet should stay free. Welcome to 2019. Dinosaurs not welcome.

Well if it's silly Nigel, it's been silly for a long time. If anything community users have more access now than they ever did before. You're probably the first member I've heard stand up for the social side of the club but still call for free access to the website. The majority of members that I've spoken to express the view that community users have too much access rather than not enough.

I know there are a number of community users that have posted useful information and continue to do so but I don't see that should in any way be considered as an alternative way of getting the same benefits as a paid member. Whilst the concept of a free internet is a great idea, in practice we still have to pay for our web hosting and with year on year reduction in members we need to look at all options to reverse that trend.

• Like 3