Should I we and dry etch primer?

Guest Alexwalton93

Guest Alexwalton93

Hello guys I'm struggling to find info on what's best to do when painting my bonnet. 

Last night I have done about 5 coats of 1k etch primer (p961). Should I wet and dry sand this before my top coat?

Or should I wet and dry the etch primer then use a standard top coat primer on that before applying the actual top coat?

Heard stories of people applying top coat on the etch primer and ends up  flaking off. 

I can't find any info on weather I can apply top coat on the etch primer

Any help would be great. Thought I would post on here before going to paint shop and asking them.

Thanks, Alex.

You didnt need so many coats of etch primer, in my experience a single thin coat is enough to give your normal primer something to grip to.    My process for painting bare steel is:

Thin coat of etch primer

3-4 coats of primer

Guide coat, and sand smooth

3-4 coats of colour

2-3 coats of clear

If you want a real perfect glass like finish, you an so an extra couple coats of clear and then wet sand it with a very fine grit paper, talking 1000-2000-3000, and then various stages of polishing compounds.

The biggest issue with metal kit car bonnets though is how flexible they are.  It is entirely possible you will end up with cracks in the paint from the flex.  In my opinion you have 3 options here:

- Use something like plastidip which is designed to be flexible

- Use as few thin costs of each stage of paint as possible

- Worry about it if/when it cracks

Guest Alexwalton93

Thank you so very much! I will follow this and let you know how I get on. Really do appreciate the guideance.  Even if it does crack it's a learning experience for me.