Steering column vibration

nelmo

Since I finished my car, I've always had what I thought was brake judder when braking from high speeds. However, I don't think that is the problem because I've realised the brake pedal isn't juddering, just the steering column.

All the bolts holding the column are fine, but it is basically a long rod of metal, only supported at either end, so vibration would seem to be an inherent design issue.

Does this sound reasonable or is there anything else I can change/check?

9 minutes ago, nelmo said:

All the bolts holding the column are fine, but it is basically a long rod of metal, only supported at either end, so vibration would seem to be an inherent design issue.

The design has not changed, other than the donor, and the Zero does not normaly suffer from judder when braking.

Check your brakes, hubs, wheels for run out and balance.

1 hour ago, fry61 said:

If you are not using your kit very often Neil it could just be rust on the discs /no rust where pads are.  Does the vibes lessen after a few miles/brake use?

😀 I'm commuting every day to work, so not likely.

I'll get the wheels balance checked first then. How do I check run out?

As Andi says, lift a wheel and rotate axle stand witha screw driver on top can be used as a fixed point. move fixed point to various points on the tyre and visually check tyre wheel etc for run out, you can remove wheel and do the same on disc and hub.

Not accurate, you neeed a dial gauge for that but it is usually accurate enough.

Ugh,  so if you buy wheels and tyres online and they tell you they've balanced them for you, THEY'RE LYING !! Took my car to a tyre place and they were miles out of balance. Done properly and steering vibration much improved although not gone totally.

I've ordered a dial gauge to check the discs as well...

Back in the early 70s I remember having the wheels of my ford 105E balanced on the car.

They jacked up the car with the wheel on and had a driving wheel against the side of the tyre and spun it up to about 60 with the car bouncing on the jack and a strobe showing where the deflection was biggest.

Fit some weights and repeat to get it right.

I was told that it was better as it took into account unbalances in the hub and break drum, yes it was drum breaks all round.

I only saw this twice then never again

Bit of different information that may or may not be of use.

In the construction industry I have had a few large machines that used long thin shafts for operating selectors, drill bits, breaker steels, etc. These often experienced unwanted vibration and the simple cure was to slide heavy duty rubber tube along the shaft, it always amazed at the effect that it made preventing excess vibration and noise. You may find that a length of suitable shrink tubing or tight fitting tubing may have a beneficial effect if the shaft is causing the judder, if not it's a fairly cheap experiment🤪

Jim

Hi sorry for late reply 

OK left to right - generally look towards the wheels /discs lumps /bulges on tyres etc 

Up and down generally something else shaking like unbalanced propshaft etc something shaking whole car 

Edited by blue