Another Super Spec cooling question

geordie40

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Hi Alan i was just redoing my system when this topic came up, reading your response can i take it that you tried the method Andy used and it didnt work on your engine

Hi Ivan, Al will correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's still running the standard RH cooling system with the heater return pipe over the engine to the top centre radiator connection. He hasn't yet got round to changing to my redesign.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, deano266 said:

@AndyW

What size t piece reducer did you use or what size reducer did you use to go to the water rail?

Hi Dean

I used a 32mm-22mm t piece in bottom hose the a short 22mm-16mm to join to 16mm hose and then another 16mm t to join into bottom of expansion tank.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-T-Piece-Pipe-Connector-3-Way-Alloy-Joiner-for-Silicone-Rubber-Hose-/190895799380

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Hose-Straight-Reducer-Coupler-Turbo-Intercooler-Heater-Coolant-Pipe-/112248769861

I can get photos if you need

5 minutes ago, deano266 said:

Looking at the metal pipe. Does that do anything besides hold the dipstick tube (which mine seems to have broken off its mounts anyway).

If not could you go from tpiece under the bottle to the thermostat?

Yeah it just hold dipstick but it does pass close to the manifold so heat may be an issue with rubber/silicone hose. I left mine in place. 

And as I said in other reply I have a t under bottle, 1 to thermostat, 1 to bottle and 1 to other t peice in my bottom hose of rad

6 hours ago, deano266 said:

@AndyW

What size t piece reducer did you use or what size reducer did you use to go to the water rail?

Hi Dean,

It looks like we've all done it in a similar way.

I couldn't find a T piece with the right size of spout, so I used a 32/32/25 mm alloy tee (from ASH). I inserted this in the bottom hose before the waterpump.  On the 25mm outlet I put a 25>19 mm silicon hose reducer, which connects to some 17mm heater hose with a plastic joiner. This goes to a T piece under the expansion bottle with a short length up to the bottle, and another length round to the end of the water rail by the distributor.

As my water rail was in good condition I left it on, as it also holds the dipstick tube.

Andy

Thanks guys.

So the things I'll need to do it are about 1 metre of hose 16mm for the water rail and round to an unequal t piece (32/32/25) at the water pump. I'll need an equal tee (16mm) and a 25mm> 16mm reducer. 

I'm also going to do a full coolant change whilst I'm at it as I managed to boil off some coolant whilst on a track day so clearly not all was happy with the cooling system

I think I used 17mm ID hose for the pipe work as that fitted nicely onto the metal water rail, and also goes nicely over a 15mm copper plumbing tee for the joint under the bottle.

I also replaced all my previous mish-mash of different sized hoses to the top and bottom of the rad with 32mm silicon hoses and alloy pipes. Avoids having to use reducers to match everything up. 

For the T piece near the water pump. Does it need to be almost next to it or can it be slightly further down the pipework and about halfway between the pump and radiator.

Which is best before i start cutting and installing it all?

It can go anywhere between the radiator and the water pump, although the closer to the pump the better to minimise the amount of water in the warm-up loop. 

My car had a U hose from the water pump to a long alloy pipe coming from the bottom front of the radiator. The U hose had a wear mark from rubbing on the exhaust manifold, so I replaced it with two 90 bends and put the Tee piece between them.

• 3 weeks later...

All plumbed in now. Tried running without a blank on the grille and stayed below 80 ran with a blank on the grille and did not once budge from optimum (we have a very large rad). 

Thanks @AndyW the work you put in to fix this issue.

Now to sort the rest of the problems out 😫