Clutch conversion

Guest Assessorjohn

Guest Assessorjohn

Hello all I'm John and a new member here and finding my way through this website whilst searching for years of expertise and advise??

I intend to convert my Sierra pedal system to hydraulic clutch, remove standard brake servo but keep hydraulic brakes. What i need to know has anyone done this job already, and yes i know the answer is yes, so could anyone guide me to the information! I have now been on here for some time and it must come down to my search criteria but dont know how else to word it??

Any help and advice greatly received.

I am using the standard 2wd Cosworth cable in mine and it's able to go under the sump and fit square on with the clutch arm with no tight bends. Only real reason to go hydraulic would be if a competition clutch is used due to the heavier springs. I am using a T5 gearbox but I think the opening is similar (nearside).

Removing the brake servo should be straightforward but if it's not getting in the way seems counter productive. If you do remove the servo you may require to get a bigger master cylinder according to the brakes you have, I have used the calipers from the Cosworth and these are 4 pot front. With my installation  I have no room for a servo so the master is a bigger bore unit to make the pressure light enough - would have failed the IVA with too high brake pedal pressure.

Guest Assessorjohn
9 hours ago, MrToad said:

I am using the standard 2wd Cosworth cable in mine and it's able to go under the sump and fit square on with the clutch arm with no tight bends. Only real reason to go hydraulic would be if a competition clutch is used due to the heavier springs. I am using a T5 gearbox but I think the opening is similar (nearside).

Removing the brake servo should be straightforward but if it's not getting in the way seems counter productive. If you do remove the servo you may require to get a bigger master cylinder according to the brakes you have, I have used the calipers from the Cosworth and these are 4 pot front. With my installation  I have no room for a servo so the master is a bigger bore unit to make the pressure light enough - would have failed the IVA with too high brake pedal pressure.

Mr Toad, many thanks for the info would seem the consensus is to stay with the cable. I will be swapping out the old servo and mounting a new pedal box so im grateful for all the help and advice.