Wiring wiper motor.

magh

So I’m currently wiring in my wiper motor following longboarders diagrams and as soon as I turn the ignition on it’s starts working no matter where the stalk is unless I select fast then they speed up. Any ideas? Cheers 

So I have disconnected the ign live from the motor as at this stage is just on spade connectors. And it’s exactky the same. 

So the motor has the earth, park, slow and fast still connected. 

The only thing I’m questioning is if I’ve read the diagram correctly in that I have a wired a ign live to both the motor and the stalks but I’m sure that is correct. 

Should also state that this is a classic mini Lucas motor and 87bg Sierra stalks. 

Guest MrToad

I use this set up in my car although I used the full Ford wiring adapted to suit the reduced needs.

On the wiring the connector colours are different to the Ford Sierra switch/stalk and looking at the connector they are as follows:

connector                                                 black(earth)                                                                               Sierra                                   brown(earth)

blue/green(fast)                         brown/green(park)                                                                 red(fast)                                  brown/white(park)

red/green(slow)                         green(common live)                                                               green(slow)                             black/violet(c.live)

The details are Sierra relevant to 87 to 89 models, although I think other years are similar. Due to my using the Ford system I have kept the relays and might be different to yours but it is important to earth the body of the motor, especially as you may have it mounted on plastic/glass fibre.

Not looked at the old diagrams in fault finding detail in ages. The latest stored diagrams are from 2006. Will put both 83BG and 87BG pics up. As you have ignition lives to both stalk and motor but it runs constantly even if the one on the motor is removed I would think that proves the motor is OK and wired OK. That leaves the assumption that there is  a live input whenever the ignition is on into pin 5 onto the motor regardless of the wiper switch position. Therefore either there is an odd ignition live in the loom feeding that wire somewhere in the loom between the switch and motor or the wiper switch is faulty and feeding that wire even in the off position.

You can trouble shoot by disconnecting the plug from the column switch, ignition on and see if you still have 12v at the end of the wire at pin 5 on the motor. If you have then its a loom short between that wire and an ignition live.

If however there is no 12v at the pin5 wire then the fault is in the column switch and output terminal 53 is getting connected to terminal 54 constantly within the column switch. Remove the column switch and test the pins.

With the wiper switch OFF pins 54, 53B and 53-2 should be isolated. 53 and B1 should show they are connected to each other in the off position

In slow position 53B, 53-2 and B1 isolated. 53 and 54 connected.

Fast position 53, 53-2 and B! isolated. 53B and 54 connected.

83-87wash.jpg

• Like 1

That’s awesome thank you gives me pleanty to go at. 

So do I actually require an ign live to both the motor and stalks? 

I have ran the majority of the cables myself. The ign live to the motor and stalks is direct as I did that. I also ran the park wire from stalks to motor. The only wires in the early gbs loom I have used is the slow/fast so connected them to stalks and motor and the earth at the motor end  

I shall try earthing the motor case but I suspect the issue lies at the stalks.

Mike 

The ignition live to terminal 54 on the stalks supplies all power for the wipe and wash functions apart from the park cycle. The park cycle gets its supply direct to the motor terminal 4 and I personally used a constant live (so the wipers would park even if you randomly switch off the ignition while the wipers are on and part way through a wipe.) You can play with the wipers wiring without the park cycle supply connected but... er.... they won't park. I haven't consciously earthed the motor case but it might have luckily earthed itself.

right that makes perfect sense now and good shout on the perm live to motor. After I had ran the ign live to the motor I did notice there was a live in my loom which traces back to fuse 4 so I’ll check if that’s perm live which I suspect it is and just use that and remove the wire I installed. 

I thought that that the live to the motor was its main feed and the lives via the stalks were just used to activate the motor switches etc as the wires don’t look the thickest. 

So a little update just managed to get some time in the garage. I disconnected the wires from the motor and connected my multimeter. I have the ign live, and earth. The slow feed is dead until activated on the stalk. And same with the fast. I connected the motor back up wire by wire. Earth and ign live then slow then fast. Every thing works brilliantly. The second I connect the park wire to the motor it just starts going by itself. I then pulled the park wire and checked for power and nothing so it must the the white plug on the motor and the park facility must be faulty that’s the only thing I can think of. Cheers Mike. 

I connected the motor back up wire by wire. Earth and ign live then slow then fast.

I'm confused.

The earth goes on Term.1, 

Parklink Term.2, (Connects to 31B1 on column switch)

Park power Term.4, (a live 12v either constant or ignition live)

Fast Term.3, (Connects to 53B on the column switch)

Slow Term.5, (Connects to 53 on column switch)

With the ignition on and wipers switched off and parked there should be zero volts at 1,2,3,5, but 12v at 4.

The terminals are numbered as below in the pic. Note where the numbers are for the plug or the socket. One is a mirror image of the other.

The only likely faults the park switch in the little white box on the motor could have are the contacts stuck together so that the motor gear cam cannot open them, or the said cam being missing. Either of these would cause constant running.

You can check all the wire continuities. Previous post gave you all the switch continuities to check.

Pic below. Ignore the printed on colours. They were sierra loom colours. The only live wire goes on terminal 4

postwiper.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

You can just see the cam in the picture. You can also see the biggish elongated hole in the ally body of the wiper that a little plunger from the park switch sticks through. If this cam was missing or the switch was missaligned or the plunger was broken off then the wipers would be constant.

cam.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Yes that’s exactly how I’ve wired it and as you say when the stalk is in the park position 1235 have 0 volts when everything was disconnected from the motor  

The only thing I can think of is the park switch is stuck making contact therefore allowing a flow from 4 the ign live at the motor to flow through 2 the park wire to the stalks which is in the off position so connect the feed to the slow hence the motor running. 

Edited by magh