Alternator LED

danielbrookes

Hi, hope this is an easy one.  At the moment if I run the car I get 13v at the battery and the LED battery light is dimly lit.

If I flip the wires on the reverse of the LED the light does not come on but I get 14v at the battery.

Do I need to put a resister in between LED and alternator?  If so how many ohms?  It’s the Denso alternator from Kitspares.

Wiring loom is my own and everything else works without issue.

thanks,

Dan

4 minutes ago, knights_templar said:

If its the small alternator that GBS use on the Zetec, a resistor should not be neccesary.

How have you wired the LED?

should be 

+ ignition live to + of LED,  - of LED to alternator.

Thanks, I had read that elsewhere as well. I will need to check and confirm for sure after my Sunday morning dog walk; but from memory I have wired it as above. 

I believe LED's are not suitable ---- the "Ignition lamp"  in the olden days was there to give a small feed to the alternator to excite the beastie into producing current; once current (& voltage ) were being made the lamp went out due to equal voltage on both sides of the lamp.

LED's just don't have a low enough resistance to supply the alternator with a start current.

With Florin I have an LED on the dash but have a tungsten filament lamp ( hidden under the dash ) connected in parallel to provide the start current.

Just checked and it is wired as above. My diagnosis is wrong though.

When car is running the battery led is dimly lit.  I get 14.3v at battery, 14.3v on positive side of LED and 11.3v at negative side which comes from the alternator.

Its a type one and is wired as per alternator_connections_002-01.gif

Any ideas what I should investigate?

Just try changing the LED for a tungsten filament lamp -- only needs to be around 5 watts --- it should go out when the engine is running on tick-over or just above (1,000 rpm )

Also check you have a good earth to the alternator body ( use a test lamp or a meter )

Edited by fry61
Additional information

Earths good, tried with a bulb and voila - works a treat, bulb goes out and alternator charges.

Is there any way to get it working with the LED? The reason I ask is I have quite a nice little light cluster.  To get the existing LED out will be an absolute faff about.

If you haven't already gone to spend your pennies ------------------ it just needs a filament lamp connected in parallel with your "nice little light cluster".  Then hide this extra lamp under the dash. ( could be on passenger side foot-well to give a little illumination for your other half's entrance/exit.