Knocking fuel pump

Hi all

Hope everyone is keeping well.  

I've got a knocking fuel pump.  Zetec engine running r1 carbs.  Thought it was a faulty pump so bought another off Ebay but same issue.  Loud knocking as it pumps fuel through, car runs and doesn't seem to be starved of fuel.  Any ideas?  Fuel pump is meant for an r1 so should be ok, I'm thinking maybe I'm asking too much of it due to the angle of the inlet (see pic).  Also when I changed the pump there was no fuel in the inlet pipe, again I assume this is due to the angle.  Any advice welcome!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x9BaGJ-d8Pe-pIDUe_zXlr0ooSVmZsno/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, moved the pump to the back of the car today but not made any difference, if anything it's worse.  Looks like its struggling to pump fuel through.  Changed the filter as suggested so can see the lack of fuel now.

Looking at the fuel pump rating its 1-2 psi, should this be sufficient?  All I can think is that the filter in the tank has become blocked.