Superspec silencer

deano266

It turned out the cat had disintegrated and all the bits had finished up in the silencer.  Once they were shaken out the silencer was fine. So I just needed a new cat (£80 off E-Bay)

I don’t think there is anything special about the silencer apart from the mounting points.  In fact I think it the wrong design anyway as AndyW and I both run with one of the two outlets blocked off, to increase the back pressure.  The car runs much better than with both outlets open.

So the only thing you have to get right is the 3-bolt mounting bracket to the cat and the rear mount.  As I recall, the GBS car and silencer runs to more than £400, so it would probably be cheaper to get a used silencer and get someone to weld on the bracket off your existing one. (or leave it.  My system blows and is very noisy but the only comment from the MOT examiner was “nice, sounds like a proper sports car”)  😀

We have a hole in the silencer can itself. The car for as long as we have had it never has had a catalytic converter on it so we were thinking of maybe adding one to the system. In terms of the silencer on it at the moment only has the one outlet so never had that back pressure issue.

Obviously we don't want to impede the sound of the car as that is one of the main selling points and looking at the ones with the cat at 400 quid is very steep, especially considering that you can buy a silencer and an in line cat for cheaper. 

If we did install an online cat does it go before the lambda or after it?

Also, where would the best place to get a silencer from other than kitspares?

Cat goes after the lambda.  

I had forgotten you hadn't got the standard Superspec silencer, so you can ignore what I said.  However, you must have a very friendly MOT man as a CAT was mandatory after 1995 😁   No idea where to get one but my first stop is always E-Bay,