Weather Protection

Guest MrToad

Guest MrToad

Hi, I completed car late last year and apart from a few sunny days have not put many miles on it.

I now want to carry out some weather protection as UK weather is known for it's changeability to allow further distances.

My car is very amusing in wet conditions so don't intend to go out purposely in the rain. Also I am weighing in at 17 stone so small openings are out.

Question is - which do I go for Tonneau or Surrey and who are best to supply?

It depends on what you want to keep dry. A split tonneau would keep water out of the passenger side while you’re driving but you’re still going to stick out of the top and get wet. I have a Surrey top and decent doors which keep me pretty dry but the doors don’t fit in the boot so once they’re on, they’re on for the day and getting in with the roof and doors on isn’t very diginified.

Maybe you should consider a Surrey top and fabric half doors which will keep the majority of the wet out but you’ll still be able to get in and out fairly easily.

I made my roof and doors but other people have used https://www.softbitsshop.co.uk/

I also favour the surrey top/ half hood option.  It is so much quicker to put on when required and just rolls up and fits to the back of the car.  I had mine made by Softbits and this is actually my car in their pictures showing it fitted and rolled.

https://www.softbitsshop.co.uk/gbs-zero-half-hood-standard-chassis-815-p.asp

Like you, I don't go out deliberately but it has saved me getting soaked before.  You still get some water getting in, but it is 95% dry.

Easily done Jim,  A piece of caravan awning rail fixed to the top of windscreen, several fibre-glass tent rods, some string & the material of choice.

Without a surrey you will not go far & stay dry  ( almost dry ) We  have had some right down pours in France & kept fairly dry under our cover -- sewn up by Mo on a 50 year old sewing machine ( bought for her when she was ???? old )

DSCF6664.JPG

DSCF6670.JPG

DSCF6669.JPG

I've got the full roof and doors, but it's colder with the full roof on. I've also made doors from ali, perspex and vinyl, that fold in half to fit behind seats and a "surrey" top and half doors from ripstop nylon. I prefer the surrey and either doors depending on weather.

I even use the surrey with no doors sometimes as a sun shade.

Nick

I have a Surrey top from Softbits - excellent piece of kit. My doors (made for me by Richyb66 in fact 😉) are awesome - it's not just water they keep out but wind. They fold in half and fit in the passenger footwell if needed (I rarely take a passenger so not an issue).

I commute daily to work in all weathers and I'm 19-stone and 6' 2" - getting in when the roof is on is tricky but not too bad...

image.png.e37251f8a2d14a7a6d195eedc4d14e64.png

Tonneau does not always work well when parked.

Unless the zip is supported on top of a ridge, rain pools on the flat top and pores through the zip leaving puddles on the transmission tunnel.

Ian hits the nail on the head. The tonneau does offer a bit of protection when parked but will leak after a while. Never tried using it when driving. I intend to fabricate a surrey top when I get chance. At the moment I just use a good waterproof outfit, you don't get as wet as you would expect as long as you are moving, it's when you stop that it gets unpleasant.