Fitiing Windscreen

Guest JimmyRH

Guest JimmyRH

Hi All,

My S3A is almost ready to go back on the road.. I have wrapped the complete car, and painted the windscreen frame black.. Now I need to put it back on, but how do i fill te gap between the scuttle and the windscreenframe? I have ordered:https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/black-polyurethane-adhesivesealant to fill this gap, but what is the best working way to do this and so it will still look ok.. Other solutions are also welcome :)

I found it easy to mask off the bottom rail and scuttle with masking tape.

Fill the gap with Polyurathene sealant  and smooth off inside and out.

Wait for the sealant to set and remove the tape.

I am unsure what masking tape does to wrap as I have never used wrap.

I made a card template and then cut some black plastic sheet which slotted in to the bottom of the screen rail. I then ran a small bead of black PU sealer around the edges.

The first 2 pictures are the mark 1 version but the centre of the scuttle isn't very well supported so on mark 2 (picture 3), I re-made the finishers around my screen vents with two small vertical tabs on the front edge and screwed the plastic through in to this which tied everything together much better and removed the potential movement between the screen and the scuttle.

123-1.jpg.jpg

126-1.jpg.jpg

269.jpg

Guest JimmyRH

That T strip will not be enough, the original build has left quite a large gap +/- 3 cm below the middle en in the corners even more. The option richyb66 has made maybe is a good solution for this.

Masking tape (the purple one) will come off just fine of the wrap. Filling the gap with sealant is an option, but I sant this to be done nice :)|Wil make some pictures later today.

A problem with the monococque cars is the top of the scuttle is unsuported and flexible. When I built I thought the best solution was to suport it and make it non-flexible! Full width angle iron bolted up on the underside of the scuttle where the screen mounts.

The frame RH supplied had the longer piece a tad too long so when I bonded the screen in the frame I trimmed it so its lower edge was resting onthe scuttle. I know some taller members left the 'legs' on to get more height but downside is a bigger gap to fill.

I refitted my screen last autumn as the original sikaflex from 2001 had unstuck from the scuttle. Lasted 17 years so not bad!

Sorry about the algae in the pic but the car lives outside.

screen.jpg

Guest JimmyRH

I am also glad it's a bit higer, otherwise I would look over the windscreen.. I have a cardboard mockup of the gap.. Now thinking of making it out of metal, plastic or fibreglas.. Will be continued.

Thanks for the advice and images!

I had to raise the windscreen on my Series 3 as I am tall.

I used a piece of thin sheet steel to cover the gap, some U shaped rubber along the bottom edge then some black silicone sealant along the inside to keep the rain out.

P1070041s.JPG.44b91953659bed6ccc17b7291e15e87b.JPG

I have he very same issue, I don’t like the idea of half a gallon (2.273045 litres) of Sikaflex self supported so am looking at a stainless steel blank for the outside and still thinking about the inside look, possibly an insert covered in dash material. There will be sikaflex involved (don’t sniff it, it’s really hard to get of your nose hairs) to seal the stainless blank from the inside.