Redtop sump gasket

kevin the chicken

I am about to put the sump back on my redtop engine after removing it to have the drain plug thread recut after it stripped at service time. I noticed that the cork gasket I had in store for such occasions has a set of washers supplied with that fit inside the cut holes, presumably to prevent the gasket from being crushed by over tightening. I have not used them before, are they are good idea or should I leave them out?  I would like to get this on so that there are no drips on the garage floor, it did weep a little last time but I didn't have any torque setting to follow so just guessed!

Hi Kevin, Ive tried just about every type possible.....none worked well.

IIRC you have a baffled sump with a horizontal baffle plate like mine (SBD)?

If thats right you dont need the windage plate.....leave it out.

Just use a single cork gasket  (not one with the washers) with WYNNS gasket maker from ECP for a drip free garage floor.

BUT make sure the bolts dont bottom out before they tighten up on the gasket.

HTH Bob

Hello bob. Yes I have the sbd sump. I have checked the length of the screws today to make sure none of them are too long. My new tube of wynns black gasket maker came today so I will have another go tomorrow with the cork gasket. I can always try a different gasket as kerry suggested if it becomes a nuisance but I wasn't far away from oiltight last time so hopefully I can improve on it this time. Have you a suggested torque figure?