Fitting Steering Wheel

danielbrookes

Evening, I had to remove my steering wheel to mess about underneath my dash - now when I fit the steering wheel back I cant get the ignition key to turn.  I am sure its something daft and I am planning on taking a proper look in the morning but though I would ask the question.

Is there a particular knack to getting the piece of plastic for the indicator "self canceler" and also fixing the issue I have with the ignition?  I suspect the steering wheel isn't fully "seated" and tightening the center bolt has simply pulled the collapsible column further out.

I don't want to start hammering the steering wheel out of frustration.

Thanks,

Dan

28 minutes ago, Moog6 said:

Hi, they are all diff.

I guess the best way is to take it off again, check for burring (Ie it might be causing it not to slide fully into place?)

Aye I’ll take a look in the morning - you know what it’s like, these things all make perfect sense afterwards! It will be something daft.

You must make sure the the key is turned to the ignition position when fitting the steering wheel. best to disconnect the battery as it may take some time and some ignition setups will overheat the coil/coils.

If you have tightened the wheel with ignition off, it is possible you have pushed the steering lock bolt out of position, with wheel off, check the bolt withdraws when you turn the ignition on and drops when you remove the key. It is possible to get the bolt working again if you tap th bolt in the right place.

7 hours ago, knights_templar said:

You must make sure the the key is turned to the ignition position when fitting the steering wheel. best to disconnect the battery as it may take some time and some ignition setups will overheat the coil/coils.

If you have tightened the wheel with ignition off, it is possible you have pushed the steering lock bolt out of position, with wheel off, check the bolt withdraws when you turn the ignition on and drops when you remove the key. It is possible to get the bolt working again if you tap th bolt in the right place.

Brilliant, thanks for your advice (again) :). Will take a look later today I must have got lucky first time round.

Check the steering lock boltit sits under the steering shaft and slides out when the key is witdrawn. for security it has to be in the withdrawn position to allow the wheel to be removed, if it is is in the locked position when you try and fit the wheel the bolt is pushed back jamming it.

the bolt is operated from a cam behind the lock operating the bolt by a lever, if the bolt is jammed the switch does not turn.

Cant find any pic at present, but to be honest my files are all over the place, stored on differnt cloud sites, am trying to assemble in one place.

12 minutes ago, knights_templar said:

Check the steering lock boltit sits under the steering shaft and slides out when the key is witdrawn. for security it has to be in the withdrawn position to allow the wheel to be removed, if it is is in the locked position when you try and fit the wheel the bolt is pushed back jamming it.

the bolt is operated from a cam behind the lock operating the bolt by a lever, if the bolt is jammed the switch does not turn.

Cant find any pic at present, but to be honest my files are all over the place, stored on differnt cloud sites, am trying to assemble in one place.

Bingo! Thanks very much, I found the bolt you refer to and you are correct I had jammed it whilst putting the wheel on.

I owe you a beer.