Turbo vernier pulley on 2.0l Pinto

Guest mdav1970

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Can someone tell me which way the arrow should point on the pulley please. Because the pulley arrow points outwards instead of inwards like on a normal pulley I've been pointing this to dead centre of the cam cover when it's at the top... if I spin the nut off and look where the lobe is, it's at the top....which way would the lobe be for timing to TDC?

I know on the standard pulley the marker/ arrow points to the dot at the bottom of the head when the crank pulley markings line up with line mark on the engine..

Edited by mdav1970

Guest mdav1970

Ok so I've probably got it the wrong way up..so it should as is in the picture..which also shows the lobe gap as being at the bottom as well...

I've got it at the top pointing upwards lined up with centre line on cam cover..

Edited by mdav1970

Hi All,

Bit confused by this problem as the pinto crank has the journals 180 degrees apart if the crankshaft indicator is at TDC then cyls1&4 are at TDC.

The cam should be valves open cyl 4 and back of the cam cyl 1 if I recall the problem which occurs most is  the position of the distributor

relative to cyl 1 plug lead been a long time but that's what I recall.

Then you can start to check valve lift position with a timing disc to get it spot on as every little bit helps

Best Regards will see you all at Stoneleigh.

Allan

Guest mdav1970

Ok got the rocker cover off..lined up the arrow on cam pulley with dot, line up bottom pulley with marks...

Where should the valve lobes be in relation to opening closing valves at this stage of alignment...?

also, if you have been trying to start it a bit, it is worth changing the plugs (or putting a gas torch over them) once confirmed everything else set correctly. They may look like they are sparking ok but more than one person has been caught out by them not working properly once they have been wet.

Guest mdav1970

Yes spark dizzy lines up with no.1 ..don't seem to have a spark ...so will start to look there 1st and just pull off dule line to test fuel pumping...new pump so I know it should be good...