Road legal

kelvinnoel

Aftermarket or original springs? If they are the original RH ones then they are too hard. 120 on the front and 180 to 200 on the rear depending on shock position/suspension design. Some have the springs in the trailing arm pan(200) and some on the original shock mount position(180).

10 hours ago, Longboarder said:

Aftermarket or original springs? If they are the original RH ones then they are too hard. 120 on the front and 180 to 200 on the rear depending on shock position/suspension design. Some have the springs in the trailing arm pan(200) and some on the original shock mount position(180).

On that note, any idea what the original sierra springs are?  I find they are rather soft.

Sorry. My car is a New 111 monocoque, front outboard springs at 45 degrees, rears coilover in the pan and vertical. Should have stated the desired spring poundage was in the region of 120 for the fronts, 200 for the rears. RH supplied 180 for the fronts which was way too hard for the monocoque Threes and 180(?) for the rears which was a little soft for the rears. Combined with the very poor zimmeride shocks which did little to control them and wore out quickly. On a series of bumps on my second drive after building, the rears on my car pumped down and bottomed out so I was riding on the bump stops.

I should correct myself on desired poundage for the rears. I'm trying to remember back a ways (MAC was April 2000) when I fiddled with springs and shocks and can't remember these days what I had for breakfast let alone these sorts of details. The 'pumping down' ride was memorable. I concluded rear springs too soft and too little shock resistance on bounce and too much resistance for the weak spring on rebound. 200lb rears came next then 250, combined with AVO shocks all round set softish. Much better. I did buy a set of 300lb rear springs but never fitted them so I was obviously satisfied at that stage. Better shocks are vital.

For a 3A with inboard shocks 100 to 120lb fronts, tending toward the softer as the compression is more linear. Rears 250lb but if you tend to carry a passenger or are heavier than my 11 stone then perhaps more.

The above is my experience with a new 111. It doesn't apply to 2B or current cars with very different geometry. Better spring weights and shocks were needed and some experimentation.

To the OP the rear should not be harsh. Check you are running a ride height that has the shock still extended two thirds (when car is loaded) so you do have suspension travel available. If the shock is compressed more than that then bumps will take it down to the bump stops which is harsh.

Duck I recall the sierra springs were too short and too soft. I don't know the rate. I don't know where your top spring mount is or where your shock attaches. If you could fit coilovers in place of your current shocks then that would be one way to go.