Zetec engine start first time

Guest Ophidr

Easy start sprayed into each intake has resulted in 4 hot exhausts. This suggests that each cylinder is getting a spark at roughly the right time and is capable of firing the easystart/air in it. So ignition fault now moves much lower down the list.

Air and easystart is obviously getting in and the mixture is getting enough compression to fire so mechanicals are working OK. So it would seem to point to fuel not getting in to cylinders 3 & 4 when you are trying to start so I'm thinking somehow injectors 3 & 4 are not firing or not firing properly. I'm now stuck as I don't know emerald, how you have programmed the injectors to fire (sequential/batch), how you have wired them up. For a simple eyeball check on this suspicion I would remove the air filter, prop the butterflies wide open, grab a good torch to peer down each intake and try to start the car. You should be able to see the injector in each throttle body spraying fuel into the engine. Hopefully well enough to see a definite yes or no and even compare if they are all reasonably similar. If this simple test shows lack of fuel going into 3 & 4 then at least you will know where to hunt the fault.

Ether is pretty volatile compared to diesel but I would doubt a petrol engine would ignite it under compression. Having said that quite often an engine will kick over when you use it but not otherwise. Don't have a great deal of experience using it thankfully. I would say that nigel is right about fuel, the mixture is not correct or too lean to run without the Ether. 

Guest MrToad

Word of Caution. Only use easy start as a last resort or very sparingly as it scavenges the oil from the bore of the cylinders creating metal on metal contact for the rings. Far better to use an oil can with petrol in it to see if firing. I banned the use of it for our hire equipment as it caused many engine failures when over used.