Zetec engine start first time

Guest Ophidr

Good point Bob. I don't know if ether will ignite on compression in a petrol engine.

Ophidr 's problem (or problems) are clear as mud! Needs a housecall to check from basics. Configuration of ecu? Does it match configuration of sensors, configuration of maps and wiring of car. Bosch injectors. High or low resistance? Flow rate? Why not use the zetec ones? Like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle. Don't even know if he has all the pieces. Hands on is the only way to find the problems IMO.

Edited by Longboarder

I did a house call last week and things didn't seem much clearer. We tried a couple of different maps with similar results so I'm now thinking there's either a wiring issue with the injectors or the injector settings in the ecu. 

Yes, matched units one would hope. But I don't think hope quite cuts it. Ophidr hopes his engine runs no doubt. That hope is not getting him anywhere at the mo.

So you resort to checking components, wiring, maps, configurations, sensors.

When I first installed my omex ECU they couldn't provide a sensor map for the zetec ford temperature sensor. So I did my own. Buckets of hot, warm, cold, iced water, a kettle, and accurate thermometer and some time. Eventually I had a graph of sender output against temperatures 0 to 98. Wrote it into the software and it continues to give accurate readings to the ECU ten+ years on.

I initially used some bosch sierra cosworth injectors (low impedance I found out after I had bought them) with ballast resistors but they still 'broke down' at 4000rpm on a rolling road. Switched to high impedance without ballasts and they worked fine. Probably would have run without but Fuel injection is the sum of its parts. Commonly it's not one problem but a number of minor snags. So you try to get as many things as possible spot on. I don't assume something I can test is functioning till I have tested it.

Fuel pumps. You can measure fuel pressure. Is it what the ecu thinks it is? Etc. I'll stop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Ophidr

Right been too busy at work over the last 3 weeks i would like to get the engine  started 

Just had another go starting still no joy can only get 3 and 4 on the exhaust to get warm using easy start does that mean i am not getting fuel to 3 and 4? I have checked the fuel rail plenty of fuel there

Plugs fire in pairs, 1-4 and 2-3, the same as the injectors, so the 3-4 combination getting warm, it is unlikly to be either.

But its worth checking the plugs are working, move plugs 1-2 to 3-4, if the fault dosent move, swap the plug leads at the coil pack, 1-4 and 2-3.

if the same cylinder warm up, reasonable to conclude that ignition is not the problem, however the Zetec is prone for glazing plugs, so try another set.

Ignition timing, one sensor on the Zetec, the Emerald/GBS does not use the cam sensor, it has to have the right config file in the ECU to understand the sensor pulses, but it is firing two differnet ignition circuits, 1-4 and 2-3, it is right or pretty close

Fuel, needed of course, but if you are using brake cleaner as the fuel it should still fire on all four, not just 3 and 4

but what ever the fuel, you need air, and the throttles are paired 1-2, and 3-4, so are they all open to the same point? ATR are not factory set.

Just a theory, prehaps someone can review for errors in the thought process?

Guest Ophidr

Managed to start the engine this evening thanks to Richard at GBS i dont have a fuel regulator fitted

Well done to GBS 

Many thanks