MT75 Clutch Fork and Release Bearing

danielbrookes

Hi, little bit frustrated.   I am nearing IVA and decided to try putting the car into gear and driving up and down my drive, bang, clutch cable snapped.

Now my clutch fork feels very loose and I think the release bearing is no longer seated in the clutch fork, I could be wrong as I only had a very quick look before shutting garage door.

Before I give up and take the engine out (!!!!!) my questions:

1. What generally causes this?  Had I adjusted the cable too tight, if so what is the process to adjust the cable?

2.  Can the clutch fork be re-attached from the little access panel on the side of the MT75 bell-housing?  The fork feels like it is no longer "seated" properly in the pin.

3. If the release bearing has come out of its seat (probably not right word - but from memory it clips into a rectangle hole on the fork) can it be re-seated from the access panel on the side of the bellhousing?

Does anyone have any suggestions or quick fixes that don't involve taking the engine out - I really, really don't want to do it again.

Thanks!

Edited by danielbrookes

Engine out an as expected the release bearing wasn’t seated in fork.  Fork had also come off the fulcrum.

Should there be a circlip or something on the fulcrum/fork? It seams to come off with a little force - I would rather not take the engine out again so is there a more perminant solution?

The bearing itself doesn’t sit amazingly tight into the fork.  It’s the GBS supplied one, I am going to make a bracket to secure it better.

Is this a common or known fault? Both the fork and bearing don’t fit very securely together.  

Permanent feature of the RH Superspec 😀.  RHE used some home-made release bearings and did not appear to make any effort to attach them to the fork.    I been wondering for years why mine is clattering .   Although I have the opposite problem, mine rattles when I am in neutral with the clutch pedal up, thus allowing freedom of movement to the bearing.   Don't really understands why yours does it the other way, when in theory, as you put the clutch pedal down the bearing should be trapped between the pressure plate and the fork and thus unable to move.

It’s strange, I am going to make a bracket to attach bearing to the arm tomorrow.

Looking on eBay pics it looks like I have the right parts but the design seems too easy for bearing to come away, maybe my clutch arm is slightly worn.  There are some plastic “hoops” on the rear which I should be able to attach to.  Seems like overkill but I don’t want to do this job again!

Any thoughts on the fulcrum end and the way that attaches? Again it seems a little loose.

Again, the Superspec ones are incredibly loose.   I think RHE were playing safe as a 'locked' arm would make the clutch operation near to impossible.   All they have done is put the arm on the bolt, left about 3mm of thread and then put 2 nuts on the bolt .

• Thanks 1