Sign in to follow this  
DoctorDee

Required...Thighs and Calves like Usane Bolt

Although "Lobby Ludd"  has sidled comfortably through the roller brake test in 2 MOT's during my term of ownership.

I have zero  confidence in my ability to bring said vehicle safely to a halt in emergency stop conditions.....

In fact, the pedal pressure needed to stop "thing", is beyond that, which a normal human being could apply....

The pedal goes rock hard long before the brakes can lock... 

The brake system appears to contain standard sierra components but without servo....

I wish to create some "feel" at the  pedal whilst being able to lock the wheels....

I assume that to do this I would need to reduce the diameter of what appears to be the standard 22mm master cylinder,  or increase the diameter of the caliper pistons..

Any advice, will as always , be gratefully received.

There are a few recommended replacements,  I seem to recall one from a ford ka and another from a fiat 121

I run standard Sierra front discs and rear drums but use the Ford ka servo. And it’s perfectly manageable. 

You really shouldn't need a servo - these cars weigh a third of what the Sierra brake system was designed for. I can easily lock my wheels and mine are all standard bits. In fact, my rears are a single solid disk, not even double or vented etc.

Or are yours drums? If so, maybe an upgrade to discs?

Have you tried just bleeding them?

All standard Sierra on Florin -- vented discs on front & drums rear --- with the Ford Ka 19 mm master cylinder --- makes the pedal light enough for my wife to drive.

45 minutes ago, nelmo said:

You really shouldn't need a servo - these cars weigh a third of what the Sierra brake system was designed for. I can easily lock my wheels and mine are all standard bits. In fact, my rears are a single solid disk, not even double or vented etc.

Or are yours drums? If so, maybe an upgrade to discs?

Have you tried just bleeding them?

Probably a big difference in pedal ratios between a 2B Sierra pedal box and a Zero set up. 

23 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

Probably a big difference in pedal ratios between a 2B Sierra pedal box and a Zero set up. 

pedal ratios? Length of pedal:travel? 

More the ratio of the distances the master cylinder push rod and the foot pad are from the pedal pivot. 

Bigger ratio gives more line pressure out of the cylinder but a greater pedal travel. 

Many thanks for the info chaps.

Here's a couple of piccies showing the level of engineering excellence which continues to challenge my health and temper.

Anybody recognise the master cylinder shown. It looks nothing like any of the photo's of the 1985 Sierra....

IMG_20190416_160009.jpg

IMG_20190416_160123.jpg

IMG_20190416_163515.jpg