Clutch Cable Setup

danielbrookes

Evening,

After a recent clutch cable snap on my MT75 gearbox I now have a replacement cable.

What is the install and setup process? I am reluctant to spend another 50 quid on a cable!

I suspect previously I had the cable way too tight.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by danielbrookes

I'm not sure there is much of a setup process - I just ran it from the pedal box back in a general arc round the engine mount to the clutch lever (Zetec and MT75) - basically a U-shape. I have one cable tie and a bit of fuel pipe to hold it loosely to the nearest chassis rail but otherwise, it just sits there.

It was so simple, I don't think I even mentioned it in my blog...The only slight setup was setting the pedal height but that's just done at the lever end by the nut where the cable goes through the bellhousing. There should be no tension anywhere in that setup.

• Thanks 1

Have you considered a hydraulic conversion, I converted mine with a master cylinder and slave cylinder kit for a Land Rover Disco and some imaginative planning and your away, clutch much lighter and clutch bite point can be set to preference.

• Thanks 1

The Superspec was notorious for breaking clutch cables.  The reason was traced to the fact that where the cable entered the pedal box it changed direction by about 10 degs and then attached to the pedal.   This meant that every time the pedal was depressed the cable was put under a sideways tension.  Once they are modified to remove that bend and the inner cable stays perfectly straight then the problem goes away.

• Thanks 1