Tie Bar plans

Guest James Breese

Guest James Breese

Hello everyone!

I am new to the club and the forum so please go easy on me!

i have recently acquired an S7 which is in reasonable condition. Jobs I have done so far are: grease uj’s on prop, poly bushes to track control arms, Sort out front suspension geometry. Full service of twin 45 pinto and fitted new silencer to exhaust as old one was blowing. Car is driving very well now but I am really interested in the tie bar conversion as when I fitted the new bushes it was very obvious that the ARB is way too stiff for the car. I know this topic has been covered hundreds of times already and I am aware that mower man has plans for the conversion for sale. I can’t seem to send a PM to him so was wondering if anyone else had plans or maybe he will read this post. I am a qualified mechanical engineer but no longer work in this field. I will hopefully be able to contribute a little as I gain experience with the car. I am based in Kent also. 

Many thanks 

james 

• 8 months later...
Guest JimmyRH

Can anybody give me some more measurements please?

installing the Tiebar conversion as winterjob now.

I got the tie bar designed as on the image from Richard, got the Sierra bar out to see how and where they will fit but I am not sure where to mount the bracket on the car. I can only drill holes ones in the body 😐

What Are the angles and or inches for mounting them on the right place. When I fit them as they are now they come at 35 cm (14 inches) from the support arm mounting. But this is at the same place the engine mounts are in.. so no space for a bracket / L plate on the inside.

Guest JimmyRH

Checked the room and sizes again and again, but I'm not going to do it.. Nobody in the Netherlands has done this, and I'm just afraid I will drill the wrong place. I keep ending up near the engine mounts, and there is less then 1 cm room between the side and the mount. No option to mount something.
I will mount the Sierra bar back in place and get it lined up again. 

It would be a shame not to do it. The difference is amazing. Don't forget that using a rose joint with a long thread into the old cut off roll bar gives you a few inches of adjustment. The engine mount sits nicely on my angel iron inner bracket giving added strength. 

when i was doing my Zetec engine change i needed to remove the ARB,  i did what some members on here had done and cut the ARB instead of fitting tie bars, i cut it  just to the mounting and welded a big washer on the end to stop it pulling through, i have some pictures if you want to have a go.

mark.