New Suspension, shocks and springs

Guest JimmyRH

Guest JimmyRH

Hi All,

After finishing my 7 last year for the RDW (Dutch IVA) engine rebuild, partly renewed the outside, new wrap, exhaust shield, new diffusor I now want to renew my suspension.

I own a 1998 S3A with the original shocks/springs (horrible) and the front Sierra bar. I had some tie bars made that are to find here on the forum, included with all new rubbers etc. to be fitted when I also fit new shocks.
In the Netherlands not a lot of info is in the market for these cars, so therefor I would like to know what I need to get. 

GAZ provides these for a decent price I believe, but what length/size shocks do I need and what weight of springs? I have no idea.
The cars weight is 680. KG.. add 100 kg when I'm in it. 

Edited by JimmyRH

Guest JimmyRH

The front shocks are inside. 
Any contact that can help me out in this? maybr a contact @ GAZ or something? from the Netherlands, there is almost nothing to get. 

Measuring is an option, but it's all from new (1998) are these dimensions nowhere avaliable.. car height is ok for me

Guest JimmyRH

Thanks TheDuck.. I hope not many of the owners still use the original shocks.. I have driven now 250 km in total after finishing it  nd already annoys me so much I need to improve it.

Guest JimmyRH

Don't know the brand, it's all rust with a spring around it.

Need to get them from underneath to see what brand it is I think.. Wil do this in the coming week.

Guest scoobydo71

Hi there Jimmy,

Go to pge 3 of my 'Stainless Robin' posts.

niduncan provides a link to Gaz coilovers that work + 125lb springs.

Just fitted them to mine over winter and so far pleased with the results.

Originals are apparently Zimmerides with 180lb springs. Way, way to hard!

Guest JimmyRH

@Scoobydo71

Thanks, will check it out, should be fine also I think with 125lb springs, at this moment it's like, bye bye kidneys..