Sierra DOHC alternator

Vaughan

Hi, me again!

has anyone had to modify the alternator bracket on a Sierra DOHC to bring it closer to the engine?

im having trouble getting it in a monocoque, this is the last hurdle. 

I guess I will need a shorter belt as well, has anyone solved this problem?

cheers. 

On my pinto, although the standard setup would fit, it wasnt ideal, i now use a different bracket setup that holds the alternator much closer to the engine and a shorter belt.Although from memory there isnt much (any?) adjustment, so getting the belt on was fun!

• Thanks 1

I made my own alternator bracket out of some 5mm flat bar and plate and welded it. The original bracket worked but the alternator was miles off the engine. Then just used the top adjustable bar as standard 

• Thanks 1

Guest MrToad

I used a Lucas A127 alternator instead of the Sierra unit which was huge by comparison V-belt drive. I then clamped it in position an made up bracket and adjuster to suit. As the duck said it ended up very close to the engine and required a fairly short belt which has very little tolerance especially as the turbo is also in the equation.

Your pulley wheels are probably multi-groove which may prove more problematic in fitting, good luck.