Gear selection when hot

danielbrookes

Hi, when cold gear selection is fine,  when warm it’s really hard to get into gear when stationary say into 1st.

if I turn engine off I can get into gear fine.  I’m at my IVA and will need to drive car home, I have an MT75 box with clutch cable.

Should I tighten it losen the cable?

Hmmm, weird... my MT75 doesn't like going into 1st if I'm moving at anything above a snail's pace so I often end up pulling away in 2nd (luckily, engine torque with so little weight has no problem with that) but not had any heat-related issues.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys all sorted - once it was up on ramps having it’s inspection I could see the nuts had worked loose and the cable was no long where it should be.

Tightened up and all’s good.  What a journey there and back, journey back was better as I wasn’t as nervous.

It failed IVA on a list of things all clips, cables and some general recommendations.  All the major stuff passed especially emissions and sound :)

A fail but a good result nonetheless. Noise and emissions are the big headaches to fix at home, anything else is pretty straightforward. 

You've now got a list of points to fix and once they're done, you're virtually on the road. 

• Thanks 1

Guest MrToad

Get the retest booked ASAP as mine took over 6 weeks plus the time taken to get the running of the engine sorted.

Don't want to miss valuable touring time😊

Ha ha this afternoons job is to book the retest ;) I’m so pleased though.  The drive there was very nerve racking but back was great.  Two examiners there were really nice guys, had a lot of time for questions and explained everything to me.

This was me 5 minutes before my test was due to start:

IMG20170619075854.jpg

It was the hottest day of the year (32 degC), I'd just driven through 2 hours of London rush hour traffic, been pulled by the cops for no plate and then, 2 miles from the centre, the heat expanded my throttle pedal pivot bar so that it wouldn't return to off, so engine revving at 3k rpm!!

Now THAT is stress !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1