Fog Light - Auto Turn Off

danielbrookes

Hi,

One thing I failed on for my IVA yesterday was:

RS4: The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit  

Additional Information: REAR FOG LIGHT OPERATION INCORRECT, REAR FOG LIGHTILLUMINATES AFTER ALL LIGHTS HAVE BEEN SWITCHED OFF AND SWITCHED BACK ON.

I am using GBS stock chassis loom, what’s the easiest way to get this resolved?  Tester mentioned a box I could buy, I see an example on car builder solutions: 

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/rear-fog-light-controller-for-new-iva-rules-for-momentary-switch

Looks like a simple neat solution? Has anyone else faced the same problem?

Thanks

You are the first person I have heard of that has been failed on this!  I thought there was some clarification that it didnt apply the way in which it seemed to be worded, certainly I remember being concerned about it but was told at IVA it didnt apply.

Anyway, yes, that box is the solution.

Or you could use a VAG rotary swtich for control of the lights and foglights as that is also compliant if you wire them correctly.

Edited by theduck
  • Thanks 1

I did a circuit diagram some while ago --- not sure where it is on here.  Job can be done with a relay & push to make switch --- any old relay will do which will reduce the cost considerably.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both, I had read so many confusing posts on this I came to the conclusion it didn’t apply but alas I failed on it.

Managed to get the retest booked for the 13th and with it being so close I will probably opt for the magic box (even though it goes against my “must understand how stuff works” policy 😂).

Thanks,

Dan

I am really surprised you have been pulled up on it tbh, there was a lot of discussion around it when that wording came in and I am sure that someone had an official response from DVSA that basically it didnt apply in the way it had been interpreted and no change was intended, or some such thing.

Ah-ha found it

I can confirm that the requirements for the rear fog lamp are still that they only operate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit. 
The requirements of note 4 will therefore only apply if the rear fog lamp then operates if the position lamps are switched off and back on, as is possible on some modern CAN bus wiring systems. As most kit cars take the 
fog lamp feed directly from the headlamp circuit, this will not be possible and as such there is no requirement for the systems listed in note 4 to be fitted. 

I do hope that you have found this information to be of use. However, if you feel that I can be of further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Best regards, 

Mark 

Mark Vickers Eng Tech MSOE MIRTE 
Technical Officer | Vehicle & Operator Services Agency 

• Thanks 1

Most of them are.  I remember on mine he was going to fail my front indicators due to angle of visibility.  I mentioned I was surprised as I was certain i had checked and double checked they would pass as they were, so he double checked the manual for me and realised had actually got it wrong and based on their height from the ground the angle of visibility requirement was different and so they passed.