Superspec clutch cable

deano266

Hi guys. Well after looking forward to playing out in the Lancastrian hills it was abruptly brought to a very quick sudden end with a loud bang. Said bang was the clutch cable.

I have got new ones ordered already but was wondering what people have done to make the bracket to avoid it happening. Pictures would be helpful.

Also what would be required to make it hydraulic on the mt75 gearbox out of curiosity?

Hi Dean, where did your cable break? When mine went a couple of years ago it was where the inner cable enters the pedal box, as it’s at an angle to the outer cable where it exits the box and frays.

I made an approx 30 deg angled spacer to hold the ferrule of the outer cable at the right angle to the pedal box wall. The clutch cable now goes downward toward the steering column rather than straight out. Sorry I haven’t got a picture of the spacer itself but this photo shows the straight line path it makes the cable go.

I lubricated the inner cable with bike chain ptfe spray when I reassembled it, and also put some exhaust wrap around the cable where it goes under the exhaust headers to prevent it overheating and drying out. I’ve not had any problems with the clutch cable since then.

But like yours my clutch is still very heavy. I’ve not found a solution to that although I’m told a longer clutch fork can help. 

Cheers Andy

34A4CFD9-55BB-48C2-B960-98589C816FFF.jpeg

If it's any consolation, there are 2 types of Superspec owners.  Those that have had a clutch cable break and those that will have a clutch cable break.

The clutch is inherently heavy because of the design, although mine got a lot lighter recently when I replaced the clutch cable.  When I took it off I couldn't actually make it move, it had just seized up.  So my car is on it's 4th cable (and I still carry a spare in the boot).   Luckily they are freely available on E-Bay.

I have just ordered 2 from eurocarparts as they are still readily available through them and with their discount code they come to about 25 quid each to get me back on the road.

Looks like I might have to do some minor modifications to the clutch pedal alignment  before I install one again

Well I have replaced the new cable (what a farce that is). On the plus side I made a new bracket and put some PTFE spray in and what a difference it makes. 

The clutch is so much lighter as I have put the mounting point closer to the driver exposing more cable in the pedal box and making it straighter. I could only do that as the top of the clutch pedal is slightly bent allowing the cable to pass straight by it.

Many years ago (7/8?) there was an article in the club magazine about converting the MT75 gearbox to hydraulic.  This caught my eye because the gearbox end of it replaced the release bearing in the bell-housing rather than a hydraulic arm outside the bell.  A novel idea thought I which I would like to implement but means taking the gearbox off!