SVA V5C MOT emissions

Guest scoobydo71

Guest scoobydo71

Hi guys,

Log book issues is not a topic that I particularly want to dredge up again .

I've read some of the old posts, divisive to say the least!

Hopefully, mine will be straight forward so, please don't reply with opinions or speculation, you'll just waste my time, OK?

Please, only if you have been through the following situation, let me know how you got on. Thanks.

Right,  my car details, A - - - MWD age relate plate?,  first reg. 12 2004, first reg. in UK 12 2004.

Special notes.

Kit built/Converted bla bla parts may not be new.

SVA/IVA cert 11 2004.  Emissions %CO 4.5 HC 1200ppm

OK, got it? But, when we log my car on at MOT it throws up currentish emissions %CO 0.200, HC 200ppm.

Before I ring the DVLA to tell them they're wrong therefore potentially opening a can of worms, have any of you guys been here before? Will they just look at there files and update the MOT data or am I digging myself into a hole thats deeper than I need!! Thanks in advance. 

Guest scoobydo71

Sorry, I should add that I want the 4.5% 1200ppm emissions not the current!

I'm an old Hippy so I'm not that clean and it's a tuned 1972 pinto block (passes the Log Book figures with ease but we'll struggle like hell to meet the current levels!)

Edited by scoobydo71
72 to 1972 date clarafication

Guest garyfelton

Hi, as an MOT tester I’ve copied this from the current online MOT test manual, I suggest you get the tester to read the manual to clear up any issues. If he is still not happy he can contact VOSA helpline for clarity, as for contacting DVLA I’d personally give that a miss.

HTH Gary

Kit cars

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA). 

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test.

Guest scoobydo71

Jesus guys, you're at it already!

Thanks but, my MOT man types in my reg and (so I'm told) the 'system' dictates what emissions it must meet. 1972 pinto will struggle to meet what they ask!!!!!!!!

Just need it to agree with my Log book. Am I wrong here?

Guest garyfelton

The system VOSA now use is relatively new and is evolving constantly, I would still suggest your MOT man rings the help line for clarity if he is confused. The testing manual is clear your car should be tested to the emissions limit on the V5C and that is what I would test it at.

DVLA have nothing to do with MOT’s so it’s pointless contacting them. If your man doesn’t want to contact VOSA take it to someone else, or contact VOSA yourself, I speak as an MOT tester with nearly 40 years experience, common sense should prevail. I think the confusion here is the registration date, vehicles first registered in 2004 would normally have to meet the standards stated however it’s clear in the manual kit cars are treated differently for emissions purposes, hence the standards printed on the V5C.

Guest scoobydo71

Thank you, I've calmed down now.

All I want is for my car to pass MOT, 

You do sound knowledgeable. So, just to clarify. My log book section 4 has no emission info, it's only noted in section 3 special notes.

Does my MOT man have any extra clout with VOSA or is it easier for me just to do it? Can they just change the 'system' so that the V5C emissions spec is accepted?

Even on my kit, IVAd and on the road last year, it is the same - it is the special notes that state the emissions requirements. So I don't think you have any issues with VOSA, your V5 is consistent and correct. The problem you have is your MOT tester is an arsehole who can't read the rules for testing. My advice - find somewhere else if he keeps pushing the issue.

Just to add to this, I have changed the colour of my car and sent the V5 off to be updated.

The one I sent off had the emissions at 4.5% under special notes, the new one didn't, so I sent it back to be updated, still waiting for it to be returned.

Current practices change with the years. Mine was SVA in May 2000.

Mine states in special notes .

1. Non transferable registration mark.

2. was registered and/or used. Declared manufactured 1985.'

No record of emissions anywhere on my V5C.

Pre SVA kit cars may have been registered as Sierra or Cortina but V5C was supposed to be updated when new legislation came in later around the time of SVA but pre IVA I think. Any kit still registered as sierra is wrongly registered.

Amended. Done more reading on the web and come across many cases of wrongly registered kit cars correcting the V5C with DVLA. (Also some which have had to undergo SVA/IVA.) So it's possible to correct the V5C but it is several weeks of hassle with DVLA, possible inspection and presenting evidence (like old photos, tax discs, service records, MoTs, etc) that prove the pre SVA history of the car.) Perhaps correcting emission standards is also possible.

Edited by Longboarder
further research.

Guest garyfelton

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been away for a few days.

The VOSA system isn’t the problem here, nowhere when entering the vehicle details into the VOSA system are you told what criteria to test the emissions.

The problem lies with the emissions test equipment being used and the date of registration entered/selected. If you enter/select the date of 2004 then the test criteria applied, are as your tester stated. He would need to enter/select the engine age to get the correct test criteria for your car. 

If he has already failed your car on emissions then you have some options. Ask him to read the manual and test to the correct criteria FOC. If he won’t do this ask him for an appeals form, or go to another test station, both will cost however a successful appeal will result in your money back. I would think if you asked for an appeals form he would get of his arse and either read the manual or ring VOSA, he won’t want VOSA turning up to investigate. Either way I wouldn’t be going back to the original tester for an MOT again as you can’t be sure he is doing the test correctly if he doesn’t read the manuals or understand how to test kit cars.

Gary