Pinto immobilizer

magh

Afternoon all as above I’m wanting to fit a device to prevent the car starting / been hot wired when I leave the kit parked up places. 

Due to it it been a pinto I’m sure I’ve read on here and understood that if I simply run an earth to a switch and on to the negative side of the coil  when the switch is on and makes the earth the car won’t start? 

Didnt want to try it and blow the coil as it wasn’t cheap. 

Also the reason for not killing the electric fuel pump is a, it’s next to the tank so means running cables through the car and b, I’m running bike carbs so there would be a short supply of fuel allowing it to start and move granted not far but even so. 

Cheers Mike. 

Ive just got a battery isolation switch but been thinking of putting a hidden switch for the fuel pump, mines a rover engine not pinto but don't suppose it makes much difference

Oh and a removable steering wheel!!

Edited by geordie40

Is it that easy to break the steering lock ?  Florin has a battery isolation switch ( screw down type -cuts all power so starter motor can't turn) & there is a by-pass wire & 10 amp fuse so side lights will work if required ( fuse blows if engine cranked )  BUT lazy me has very rarely used the isolator switch --- never had any problems -- SO FAR. Fingers crossed it continues.

It’s most likely not going to be needed but something as simple as a wire and switch that will take all of 10mins to fit for added piece of mind I feel is worth it.