First Wiper Speed Not Working

danielbrookes

Afternoon,

Horrible weather at the moment but I decided to take the car out with my new weather gear.

Ive noticed the first wiper speed selection isn’t working, the other speeds are fine.

Before I take the coweling off to take a look does it sound like a lose wire? 

I’ve read it could be a faulty relay but those symptoms seem to be only one speed setting so I guess not that.

Hoping it’s an easy fix.

thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan

I had similar problems with my kit, there  are quite a few wiring diagrams on the forums that will really help, I printed one for a mini motor and one for wiper & light stalks, 

Regards

Harry

Edited by Pintogogo
  • Thanks 1

Think I’ll take the coweling off and have a look. It was working perfectly and I recently fitted an immobiliser so guessing I have knocked something.

The connector from GBS loom to the motor has always been very lose but I would thing if it was that end then the motor simply wouldn’t work.  Same for a bad earth.

Easy enough to inspect connectors and clean the switch contacts.

what i found with mine is that the mulit plug to the lucas motor is very loose. It might be worth checking there first. if not have a look at your intermittent relay ( if you have one, i personally don't) as it can be very easy to catch and pull those plugs loose

• 1 year later...

I recently swapped my Gbs stalks because my Mazda kit had Mk1 stalks with the indicators on the right. I have fitted Mk2.5 ones with the indicator stalk on the left so they are the same as every other car I own. I had no diagrams so worked out the pin out at the Gbs multi plug and swapped the plug onto the new set, pity Mazda didn’t use the same colours on both models! 
Part of the proving process was shorting pins in the socket to observe the results. I have all of the pin out info still. I would assume the ford loom is the same as the Mazda one on the Gbs and you simply wire the switch gear to suit. 
so for the wipers:
Pin 12 brown- earth.
Pin 13 blue- live.
Pin 14 green- low speed. 
Pin 15 red- high speed. 

If you unplug the multi plug under the dash and test you should have 12v between pins 12 and 13. 
Pop a paper clip between pins 13 and 14 then put the ignition on, the wipers should be on and slow. 
Pop the paper clip between 13 and 15 next and they should be on ‘fast’. 
If so it’s switch gear related. If not and they only work in high speed it’s wiring or motor. 
lots of ways to test those.