shortend sump

Del1968

hi all 

i know this has been asked god knows how many times but how much oil needs to go in as i am going to do an oil change but i cant tell how much oil will be in the sump as i have pulled the dipstick out to check the oil and looks like the previous owner has cut the end off with the min and max  markers and just left with the wire i know the old pinto engine held 3.75lts with orignal sump pan any ideas or advice 

Not lnowing how much has been chopped off the sump this cannot be answered directly.

Snapperpauls post at the top of this gives the levels required.

I would use a cable tie as a measure. Get one long enough to touch the bottom of the sump and mark where it enters the tube, measure the length of the tube and then you will mknow where the max and min marks should be.

Fill a bit at a time untill level is between marks and note how much oil went in.

As I understand it the oil level is not so much to do with quantity of oil as the height of the oil in the sump so that it does not meet with the big end bearings.  Of course a shortened sump will hold less oil than the original but the original dipstick can still be used as the Max Level is still right for the bearings.  I'm sure my Pinto 2.0l takes 3.25 litres with a shortened sump.

Other thought is... are you sure previous owner has circumcised his dipstick OR has the end of it fallen off in the sump?  Does it look like its cut?

Kevin

22 minutes ago, RevKev said:

As I understand it the oil level is not so much to do with quantity of oil as the height of the oil in the sump so that it does not meet with the big end bearings.  Of course a shortened sump will hold less oil than the original but the original dipstick can still be used as the Max Level is still right for the bearings.  I'm sure my Pinto 2.0l takes 3.25 litres with a shortened sump.

Other thought is... are you sure previous owner has circumcised his dipstick OR has the end of it fallen off in the sump?  Does it look like its cut?

Kevin

Hi Kev 

yes pulled dipstick out and you can see where it’s been cut 

In my view it’s irrelevant on how much the sump is shortened the capacity should not change and you should fit wings, troughs and/or oil capacity elsewhere. It’s not just about lube the oil also helps to cool. 

• 1 year later...

Please refer to my pinned post and other posts I have responded to.

there are all the measurements you need to find the correct level of oil and the correct length of dipstick tube and the relationship of min and max levels on the dipstick