Super spec transmission noisy.

Guest Peter Kelly

Guest Peter Kelly

My Car drives like a dream when accelerating, however when the throttle is released there is a nasty clattering noise coming from the clutch,, gearbox or differential.

Any ideas?

Does the noise go away if you press the clutch in ?  If so then do a search for “Superspec clutch” and you will find dozens of posts.  Basically ALL Superspecs have clutch rattle, some minor, some such as mine sound like a bucket of bolts.  It all depends on the engineering tolerances used when your particular kit was assembled at the factory and whether the thrust release bearing was correctly attached to the clutch release arm.  On my car I assume the thrust bearing was not connected at all so when the clutch pedal is released the thrust bearing rattles around.  But it’s done it for 22,000 miles so I have stopped worrying about it.

Guest Peter Kelly

Allan, I replaced the phosphor bronze bearing with a dust proof roller bearing some years ago. This is a different problem. 

Do you know the origin of the superspec diff.  This was the only non new component fitted to the original kit.

16 hours ago, Peter Kelly said:

Allan, I replaced the phosphor bronze bearing with a dust proof roller bearing some years ago. This is a different problem. 

I wasn’t talking about the phosphor bronze bearing, that isn’t the source of the rattle.  I was talking about the thrust release bearing that should be clipped into the release arm.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Peter Kelly

Alan, I borrowed a ramp yesterday it appears that the universal joints on each end of the prop shaft are breaking down, probably through lack of grease.

Do you have any part numbers for the UV,s?

it isn't a standard prop as the sierra had a 2 part setup but it is standard ford ends to fit the mt75 (I think this is the box superspecs used) to ford diff. Unless gbs do one you wont find an off the shelf one so you'll have to get one made up. It'll no doubt be better quality than the rhe one anyway.