Fuel systems

Vaughan

Hi

i am about to tackle the fuel system and I am hoping for your advice. 

I have a tank with 4 threaded bolts at one end, and a flow/return at the carb. (Sierra DOHC) at the other .

do I get the original sierra submersed pump/sender or are there any other options? Bearing in mind the Sierra pump has a ring fitting and I am not sure how to convert it into the tank.

also, what is the best and safest fuel line and route to take from back to front please (s7 monocoque)

thanks

Vaughan

The fuel line on my car runs along the inside of the transmission tunnel out of sight. The builder used copper pipe which was probably a good idea bearing in mind the way even the proper fuel hose seems to decay. Mine had a sender unit in the top of the tank with fuel pick up attached but as the sender packed up I replaced it and did away with the top piping, utilising a blocked off outlet near the bottom straight into an electric pump via a short rubber hose with a disposable filter before the pump. The copper pipe is picked up by a rubber hose in front of the firewall feeding straight into a fuel pressure regulator then straight to the carbs. All the bits that can be troublesome or requiring maintenance nicely to hand

Guest MrToad

I used short lengths of braided rubber at engine and tank ends to absorb any movement and the rest I also routed along the transmission tunnel in plastic coated copper. It's very strong bends easily and fittings are plentiful, I also used it to make sure approved by IVA. Additionally as I'm running Fuel injection I have 2 runs, feed and return.

Easily handles the pressure as I had a blockage and gauge read 10 bar without the hint of a leak.

If running through trans tunnel make sure to give enough room around the gearbox, I had to put through steel tube to make sure as tolerance was small (I had routed the tubes under the floor at the front but transporting on trailer flattened them - hence the blockage).