Pinto Efi cold running

Jez Morton

Looking for a bit of info on the old pinto ESCIV injection system, not sure if I have a prob or not.

When starting cold what is the RPM, mine tends to be around 1500.

What temperature does the cold running setting switch to warm, my revs drop to normal at around 90 degrees.

90 seems high for the cold setting to still be on, its the same temp the thermostat opens or its switching off due to thermostat opening.So could temp sensor be stuffed?

Thanks

Hi Stu thanks for that, google let me down trying to find any info.The  sensor on the car was 55k when cold but not had chance to test hot. I have another one that read 35k at room temp and drops to 3.5k in hot water from kettle so looks like thats a good one. I'm thinking both sensors should read the same as car was stood for few days.

The idle control valves are well known for sticking, could it be yours is stuck open? worth removing and cleaning.

I've never had an issue with a high idle, other than when there was an air leak. Also check the throttle stop on the butterfly.

Finally got to the bottom of tne issue. Annoyingly I've lived with it for many years but having to use the car for work for a week as my daily is in the garage (another long story of dpfs etc) really brought the issue to a head. So got home yesterday and had some time to fettle so measured the temp sensor resistance while car was hot, initially got 400k and a bit later 120k so well stuffed should be 3k ohm. Swapped with the spare and tick over is great stays at around 900 rpm from cold. Bench tested the old sensor with a cup of boiling water started ok at 35k then dropped to 3.5k worryingly ok, then after a short time it went haywire jumped to 35k, 120k dropped to 25k so in the bin it went. 

Next job is to switch back to the 82deg thermostat so I dont cook on a hot day.

• Like 2