Exmo Vs SS 2B

phaeton

Comparing a stainless steel 2B to an Exmo what's the pro's & con's over each car, there's currently an unregistered 2B which needs completing or a registered Exmo that needs an engine. Is a stainless steel chassis the problem that I think it might be, unable to modify it etc, but presumably it's a newer kit?

At a technical level, there's little reason to take the Exmo over the 2B, to be honest. Being a monocoque there will be slightly more engine bay room, maybe, but that's about the only positive I can think of. The only positiive you have there is that the Exmo is registered and the 2B isn't (which is quite a significant difference in terms of getting the car on the road!).  If it's the exmo recently discussed on here, with the converted front suspension, that is a slight positive (although it does assume it's been done right and the geometry is any good). Depends how quickly you want to be on the road, and with how much (or little) expense :)

Exmo will be cheaper and quicker.

Edited by brumster

Yes it's the same Exmo, the other is Fleecebay again to me there are for's & against each, the Exmo is registered but needs an engine/box & modification to get it to fit, the logical route is MX5 but that means getting another car to strip when parking space is very tight. Purchase £1900 (which I think is too much) £600 donor, MOT £40 + 10% £2750

But it can be put straight onto the road after an MOT, it has a screen & weather gear.

The 2B is stainless steel which worries me as any chassis modifications are limited if needed, not worried about IVA other than the cost, £700 for test &  inevitable retest. But it does have an engine fitted although it's the 1.8 which I didn't think was a particularly good one, is running just needs finishing, but doesn't have a screen, so presumably no heater, demister, wipers etc. also no weather gear, will need a full set of tyres. It sold for £1K last time, plus £700 test fees, £55 registration fees, hood £650, screen £200, wiper/demister £100 plus 10% £3000

The car will be road worthy/registered, but will be used for 2-3 track days a year, which is what I cannot do in the buggy, interested in why the Exmo will be quicker

I meant quicker to complete, not necessarily quicker to drive :)

I think you are right on the price for the Exmo; I couldn't give mine away, ended up scrapping it, so with no engine he is dreaming at £1900. Assuming £1k (let's be honest here - it's on a Q, it's got CSMA stickers/safety gear all over it so it's clearly been raced, and it's been butchered/chopped about). At least it's a blank canvas in terms of the engine so you can put something you like in it - something modern - and it would be pretty easy to do being a monocoque. But Exmo's handle like a bag of nails in standard form... but this has had that front end conversion which will surely improve things if it's been done right. Question - if it's a competition car, why is he selling it but kept the engine? Unhappy with the handling?

Then again, if you're not after something that's ultimately capable and you're happy for it to have it's faults, then what do you care - you'll still have fun in it.

The 2B looks like it'll need equally as much rework (bit tatty in places, and like you say 1800 pinto, urgh).

On the basis you'll be doing work either way, you might as well take the Exmo (at an appropriate price mind you) and make it how you want it, and not have to faff about with IVA and so forth? Assuming the Exmo suits you in terms of style, colour, etc.

and obviously general condition, build quality, etc. goes without saying, standard things for buying ANY car, let alone a kit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah not only could I not afford one in the first place I couldn't afford the monthly trips to buy the parts that have broken, worn out or simply fallen off.

I also suffer from a left leg that had a compound fracture of the femur, along with tibia & fibula, foot at a strange angle & a left hip that occasionally locks. Put at along with a right knee that has for the last 40 years had to compensate for the deficiencies of the left leg, doesn't like bending & will also locks up for no apparent reason, a comfortable car/bike is an essential.

Oh & back to why he might be selling the Exmo separately if as you say they handle like a pig, he wasn't going to get £7K for it.

Edited by phaeton

The Exmo doesn't handle like a pig, I had mine for 5 years and really enjoyed the whole time with it, OK is not in the same league as the more expensive kits bot for a first intoduction into kit cars it is good fun especially if you can buy it at the right price. if you do decide to go for it the main place to watch  is where the front end joins the bulkhead this is where mine eventually failed but that was after almost 60000 miles.

He says he's fixed on the price, so not going to even bother going to look at it, at £1000-1300 it's worth a punt, but make no sense at £1900, struggling with the 2B owner he just doesn't reply to messages in a timely matter, he's only available this morning, but hasn't provided an address lol

No, the sliding pillar is normally swapped to wishbone not the other way around. 

This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robin-Hood-2b-unfinished-kit-car-project/273923566199?hash=item3fc71dea77:g:uFoAAOSwFW9c~kVb

is already wishbone which is better. However the wishbone can still suffer with bump steer which can be removed by fitting the GBS handling pack. I have the handling pack on mine and it really is a big improvement. 

Yes that's the one I referenced further up, just been to look at it, it need a lot of work redoing, it's not pretty, the whole of the boot is open with no panels available, are they available or is it a true build it yourself situation?

The Exmo is off the list as he's sticking to his price.

Edited by phaeton