Super Spec Rear Lower Shock Mounting

jimpoole

I'm fitting a set of Gaz coil overs to rear of my kit. I have used a U bracket to mount to the lower end of the shock with a bolt trough the eye.

There's a single bolt that goes through the bottom of the U bracket and then though a pre-drilled hole in the lower trailing arm. On the underside of the lower trailing arm, however, there's a dish and the nut for the bolt that passes through doesn't sit square onto the arm. Is this an issue and does anyone have a fix for it?

Hi,

I seem to remember this issue when I fitted mine many years ago. 

I think I used some chemical metal to straighten it up and then fully tighten up when cured.

I had the thought that if it failed I would come up with a different solution. 

So far no issues.

My Superspec has got Gaz coilovers on the rear although they were already fitted when I got the car. So not sure if the previous owner modified the mounting. The bolt on the U bracket that goes through the dish of the trailing arm does sit at a very slight angle but this doesn’t seem to cause any problem. There’s a large 30mm washer under the Nyloc nut.

I recall seeing a SuperSpec kit (unfinished) where the bottom of the rear coilovers went through a specially drilled hole that was offset from the 'dish' in the trailing arm.   On the other hand mine are perfectly lined up with the 'dish'.  Maybe there are different designs of training arms ?

The Gaz coil overs do not have to go through the pre-drilled holes. Re drill new holes so they are more inline with the top mount. Mine do fit through the holes in the centre of the bottom arms only because I have rose joints on the top