My IVA fail

Guest kgnoble

Guest kgnoble

Well it failed!   

Full story is in the blog, but the majority of stuff was very minor, a loose screw here, a missing grommet there.  Most important was that he spotted a very small leak in the master cylinder - I will replace that very shortly.  There was also an issue with the (MotaLita type) steering wheel which has too many holes and too much wood.  Otherwise, side repeaters apparently necessary, and the rear foglamp/reversing light combo needing a shim to make it present the light horizontally on a sloping surface.

What was obvious was that a neatly presented car immediately gets the examiner on your side.  I suspect he erred on the generous when assessing seat heights, headrests, two speed wiper speeds, headlamps and quite a lot else.  He was very happy to chat and was pleased to see that I obviously had worked through the IVA manual.

So - another month to fix the items, a retest and I should be away.

Thank to you all for your comments and support - it has been incredibly helpful and generous.

Cheers

Keith

www.cageyenne.co.uk/wp

Well done it sounds like that is a good fail sheet I’d be happy to come away with that. As you say the presentation of the car goes a long way to getting the tester on your side. You will have the items ticked off in no time. If you haven’t got the original steering wheel let me know I have the original Sierra one from my Iva for sale. 

Where did you take it? I've not done IVA but did 5x SVA's all at Nottingham, found the guys there great, they seemed to have the attitude they wanted it to pass & would use judgement, whereas heard stories of others that were strict with no leeway.

But as said a good fail, you have a list to work from, they should only test what failed on the retest, unless you make big changes, once heard of a guy take a car back for retest for a steering issue, I think it just needed the lock limiting. But he decided to swap out the mirrors & remove the repeaters, then wanted to argue that they had already been tested before & shouldn't be included on the retest.

21 hours ago, kgnoble said:

what was obvious was that a neatly presented car immediately gets the examiner on your side. 

Yeah, the guys at GBS said that too me numerous times - half the battle, they reckoned.

For me, my tester was most impressed by my use of paint on the nuts, to check for movement. He seemed to think that meant I knew what I was doing (I didn't) 😀

Guest kgnoble
4 hours ago, phaeton said:

Where did you take it? I've not done IVA but did 5x SVA's all at Nottingham, found the guys there great, they seemed to have the attitude they wanted it to pass & would use judgement, whereas heard stories of others that were strict with no leeway.

But as said a good fail, you have a list to work from, they should only test what failed on the retest, unless you make big changes, once heard of a guy take a car back for retest for a steering issue, I think it just needed the lock limiting. But he decided to swap out the mirrors & remove the repeaters, then wanted to argue that they had already been tested before & shouldn't be included on the retest.

I took it to Yeading in Middlesex - off the M4.   Big centre but only one full time tester!    Good point about the retest - I am doing nothing other than dealing with the points raised.

• 4 months later...
Guest kgnoble

Just to say,  I now have a street legal Burton. The IVA test is done and buried along with the problems that led up to it. I can now give a definitive view of the Yeading Test Centre and their examiners, and would confirm that they have been supportive, friendly, approachable and that, providing the manual is used to ensure all point are covered, are very happy to pass the Burton and I am sure other kit cars.

Very happy to comment if any one wants to know in more detail as to the Examiners approach.

Thanks to everyone here's support and comments.     Full story in the blog at www.cageyenne.co.uk/wp

Keith

IMG-20191113-WA0002.jpg