Webber hunting on tickover

NickandNeil

Help please, trying to get my Robin Hood ready for the IVA and time is running out along with the summer.

Bought the car an Exmo as an unfinished car, the engine hunts on idle and it does not seem to make any difference when i turn the mixture screw.  Took off the top of the 32/36 Weber and replaced the power valve diaphram (which was siezed solid, now I can't tune it, any thoughts anyone.

also for the IVA where do I get the specificaton weights for the axal's etc?

Guest MrToad

With the carb if it's been unused for a while the whole unit will need to be overhauled and cleaned. You can buy service kits for very little money that include jets, gaskets etc. and will be best done as a bench process using suitable cleaning fluid (petrol ok). Once it's all nice and clean set the mixture screw(s) as the manufacturers starting setting, fit, then gradually screw in or out as required till smooth running. Do not be tempted to make large adjustments as if this is required something will be wrong with the carb or other things elsewhere, usually 1/2 a turn in either direction from the initial setting will be plenty.

15 hours ago, MrToad said:

With the carb if it's been unused for a while the whole unit will need to be overhauled and cleaned. You can buy service kits for very little money that include jets, gaskets etc. and will be best done as a bench process using suitable cleaning fluid (petrol ok). Once it's all nice and clean set the mixture screw(s) as the manufacturers starting setting, fit, then gradually screw in or out as required till smooth running. Do not be tempted to make large adjustments as if this is required something will be wrong with the carb or other things elsewhere, usually 1/2 a turn in either direction from the initial setting will be plenty.

Thanks as always Mr Toad, The engine is a ford pinto two litre, it is 1984 so it should nothave to adear to the moden emmision regs.  The exhaust smoked o little and i was not sure if this was down to ovefueling.  Aparently it will fail if it smokes so II took just the top half of the webber off and found the power valve diaphram valve had siezed so i replaced it.  I cleaned all the jets out on the top half of the carb, but now I will remove the whole carb and strip it down.

Guest MrToad

Webber carbs are usually fixed jet units and as long as you take your time using corrosion release fluid on all threads there is not a lot you can do wrong, there are plenty of exploded diagrams on the subject and if you fancy a laugh watch one of the you tube displays and see how not to do it🤣

The smoke issue is visual and my tester was quite relaxed about it only having issues with continuous black smoke, which mine did on the initial visit due to leaking vacuum pipes, next visit was ok even though on revs it did puff a little.