IVA spec worries

NickandNeil

Guest MrToad

Ok to the wiper nut, mine had a side bolt and I covered the same way - no problem.

I changed my silencer to a folded edge version to be sure. 2.5mm radius rule applies, but also the IVA ball end test tool.

Quick temporary fixes could be to apply some exhaust paste round the inner rim - I know pretty pathetic but will cover the rules if done neatly, or get some thin stainless and bend round the edge - will take a bit of skill and perseverance.

I think the way things are going I will have to put the IVA test off until next year.  Everytime I think I am nealy there more problems keep croping up.  Also it's getting dam expesive.  Just priced up the fuel tank filler cap that I apparantly need and now a new silencer.  I think I will post a complete photo of the car so members can advise me of anything elese be fore I apply for the IVA.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, NickandNeil said:

I think the way things are going I will have to put the IVA test off until next year.  Everytime I think I am nealy there more problems keep croping up.  Also it's getting dam expesive.  Just priced up the fuel tank filler cap that I apparantly need and now a new silencer.  I think I will post a complete photo of the car so members can advise me of anything elese be fore I apply for the IVA.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

A guy on the locostbuilders forum came up with a very inventive (and cheap) way of getting round the exhaust can edge issue for IVA. He chopped up an old stainless dog bowl and fitted it over the area. I bought it off him after IVA actually but have since lost it during a house move.

It was made to bolt on to the 2 holes on his motorbike can but you could make one that clamps on using a hose clamp or something:-

kiNC1D1.jpg

8s3fvzB.jpg

fSmURJO.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, richyb66 said:

2 other options.

Make a heatshield to go round the silencer and put the edge trim on that. 

Get some 6mm stainless steel bar. Bend it to a big ring and tack weld it to the ends of the silencer

I think I will have a look at some heat shields, I keep burning my leg when I get out the car, so it might kill two birds with one stone, Thanks for that.

21 hours ago, FERRINO said:

A guy on the locostbuilders forum came up with a very inventive (and cheap) way of getting round the exhaust can edge issue for IVA. He chopped up an old stainless dog bowl and fitted it over the area. I bought it off him after IVA actually but have since lost it during a house move.

It was made to bolt on to the 2 holes on his motorbike can but you could make one that clamps on using a hose clamp or something:-

kiNC1D1.jpg

8s3fvzB.jpg

fSmURJO.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Thats an interesting option, the dog has plenrty of spare bowls, thanks

another query.  My exhaust points out to the side with a sharp edge , (see Picture)  Is that acceptable for the IVA?

My brother had the origonal Lutus seven, he said his silencer was on the side of the car, but it then was diverted back under the car and out the back of the vehicle.  I have check dozens of images for Sevens but no one seems to take that option, is it to do with ground clearance under the car or is it down to fashion?

Another point, I applied for a VIN number from the DVLA and nothing has arrived yet.  Can I submit the IVA application now and say awaiting Vin number?

Seeing as you have a number of potential fails on your silencer, I'd suggest posting a wanted ad for an IVA compatible silencer. One with a rolled tailpipe end, no sharp edges and one that has previously passed the noise test. 

People have all sorts of stuff kicking around in the garage and you might drop lucky. 

46 minutes ago, NickandNeil said:

another query.  My exhaust points out to the side with a sharp edge , (see Picture)  Is that acceptable for the IVA?

I can't see it in the pics, but the exhaust pipe outlet should have rolled edges if it's contactable with the IVA test sphere.

This is just my opinion, but if you've got the standard silence from RHE back in the day, you'd honestly be better off to just ditch it now while it's easy and buy a proper, IVA-compliant silencer that will also be of much higher quality than the one you've got on there, which will most likely blow the wadding out of itself within 3 months (if there's any still in there!)... I can thumbs-up the silencers Techcraft Motorsport sell; popular in the 750 race series as noise-compliant but performant. No issues with mine other than the nuts on it need captivating/lockwiring to stop them rattling themselves loose.

8 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Seeing as you have a number of potential fails on your silencer, I'd suggest posting a wanted ad for an IVA compatible silencer. One with a rolled tailpipe end, no sharp edges and one that has previously passed the noise test. 

People have all sorts of stuff kicking around in the garage and you might drop lucky. 

Will post a wanted add now.  Just realised the picture of my exhause did not download, so her it is

pic exhaust rear.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys, but it looks like the IVA will have to wait untill late Autum now.  Good news is I have finaly got the Vin number from the DVLA.  I have been told to Stamp it on the chassis and also a 'plate.'  I remember reading on one of the forums that the Robin hood plates that were supplied with the kits was no longer acceptable.  We do not have a plate, so how do you know what is Acceptable? and where do you put it?

For the plate, just get a trophy shop to engrave one for you.  The IVA manual has the required sizing for both the stamping and plate.  The plate can then be riveted to your engine bay firewall.  Content for the plate just needs to be Make and Model on one line and VIN on another line, nothing else.