no peace for the wicked

kelvinnoel

Well last year the rear shocker snapped ,today one of the front ones snapped at the threads so more expendature ,is there ever any respite ,I only want to go for the occasional run out ,OK now the serious bit ,new dampers and springs ,damper tach i assume but reccomendations on lengght and spring rating ,the car is fitted with its originals atm but i have not started to remove them yet so don,t know any details ,if any as the are rusted up thaonks guy,s

kelvin

To replace kit car dampers the first and most important measurement (which the supplier won't have) to take is the length, eye to eye, when the car is at its normal ride height. You can wind down the current spring platform positions and then jack up to get the ride height to what you want it to be. This gives the supplier the running length of the shock and allows them to select a shock that roughly has two thirds of its movement for compression and a third for extension. Spring rates are affected by corner weight and shock angle mostly and will be individual to your car. For a series 3 with almost vertical front springs about 100 to 120 I would guess. Rears about 300 if in the centre of the trailing arm pans but 230ish if from the original shock mount, assuming they are close to vertical. More if angled.

I would also measure the full open and full closed length between the mounting points too. I know it's unlikely you're going to be at full compression or taking off over jumps but, well, who knows the dimensions of these cars are sensible or 'right'. I wouldn't take anything for granted with RHE :)

In addition to brumsters point, make sure your shock hits the bump stops before any other part of the suspension at full droop. On the 2b with wishbones if the shock doesn't engage first the force will be taken by the top balljoint! there is a potential for snapping the balljoint if this happens. Instead try and mount it so the shock hits the bumpstop before the balljoint.

Not sure if the series 3 has the same potential as the suspension setup is different but just be aware as you are checking.