Engine rebuild

Guest Big G

Guest Big G

Hi all,

Does anybody know of a company that could rebuild my Pinto 2ltr engine. The engine is in running condition and sounds quite good with no strange knocking sounds  but due to it's age could definitely need a total update including the head to run on unleaded. I live in Shropshire near Shrewsbury but don't mind taking it anywhere to get it done as long as somebody could recommend that the company is OK as I have some horror stories about some so called engineering set ups.

This is just the start of my renovation of the S111 I have just bought so am looking for "local knowledge" so to speak.

Thanks

Graham

For the head you might be better off keeping an eye open for one that already unleaded rather than converting one. The place I use in Coventry will replace valve seats but it's not that cheap and from memory I don't think that they will give a warranty because inn the past they have had the inserts work loose in old heads.

A good starting point might be Steve Walford in Northfield Birmingham on 07976 731187. He's got plenty of Pinto experience and he can probably point you in the right direction.

Try and get a handle on the costs involved, rebuilding old engines can get expensive and you might want to consider other options before starting.

Hi Graham, I can highly recommend Steve Walford.  He built my pinto which is now running in excess of 275bhp!  He can do all the machining you might require including fitting hardened valve seats. 

Be sure to mention you found him through the club, he has done work for a number of members.  I know he is busy at the moment with the run up to the 2cv 24 hour race at snetterton in september, but after that tends to be a bit quieter.

Guest Big G

Thanks a lot richyb/the duck for the info I will certainly follow up on your recommendations. I can see now that I will be bankrupt for the net few years but fun while doing it.

As long as it will be at least on the road for next summer I will be happy.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:45 AM, theduck said:

Hi Graham, I can highly recommend Steve Walford.  He built my pinto which is now running in excess of 275bhp!  He can do all the machining you might require including fitting hardened valve seats. 

Be sure to mention you found him through the club, he has done work for a number of members.  I know he is busy at the moment with the run up to the 2cv 24 hour race at snetterton in september, but after that tends to be a bit quieter.

Tell me more about the 275bhp Pinto 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, Graham Elson said:

Hi all,

Does anybody know of a company that could rebuild my Pinto 2ltr engine. The engine is in running condition and sounds quite good with no strange knocking sounds  but due to it's age could definitely need a total update including the head to run on unleaded. I live in Shropshire near Shrewsbury but don't mind taking it anywhere to get it done as long as somebody could recommend that the company is OK as I have some horror stories about some so called engineering set ups.

This is just the start of my renovation of the S111 I have just bought so am looking for "local knowledge" so to speak.

Thanks

Graham

In my opinion if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

if you want unleaded the best mod would be an injection head as they have unleaded inserts but check it has the identifying mark on top left  corner exhaust manifold face

the injection Head is also worth 5 to 10bhp

just doing this will cost £300

injection head £250

head gasket (Rheinz) £20 this is thinner than standard at 1.3mm (extra compression)

inlet, exhaust and valve cover gaskets £30

oil, filter, plugs, leads

clean it, paint it

if the bottom end has good oil pressure leave it alone

you could check compression on each cylinder.

If you go for a refurbished bottom end then where do you stop?

big ends, mains, high pressure oil pump, water pump, a rebore requires pistons and rings

if you doing all this work then it makes sense to use good products and future proof the engine with ARP bolts for rods, mains, head and flywheel

This is the rabbit hole I’ve been down to many times the minimum cost is £1000 if you then go with new cam kit and all the associated bits and pieces £2000

Guest Big G

Well I am certainly getting some varied advise on this one It's giving me a lot to think about in fact a lot more than I bargained for. The bottom line is that I want a reliable engine and the two litres it has as standard will be quite enough as I think my bombing around the countryside like a maniac are probably behind me. Too many cameras about these days!!

My aim is to have a cosmetically good looking car with reasonable performance without (hopefully) spending a vast amount of money so thanks for some costing snapperpaul.

I don't mind taking the engine out but I would rather pay somebody to do the nitty gritty that have worked on this type of engine before, better chance of it working again.

22 hours ago, MrToad said:

Why not proper job it and fit Cosworth lol, potential bhp  figures in 4 figures😎 even cooking they exceed 300lbft and 300bhp from 2000rpm

Because that would be boring! There’s plenty left on the table with my current setup, it is just setup to make the least it possibly can at the moment 😂

Edited by theduck

Guest MrToad
16 hours ago, theduck said:

Because that would be boring! There’s plenty left on the table with my current setup, it is just setup to make the least it possibly can at the moment 😂

I have read and heard plenty of things about the Cosworth engines but never boring! Personally rebuilding and fitting this Iconic engine was far from boring!

I think you misunderstand, nothing wrong with the cossie engine, fine thing it is, and I’m sure the performance is superb. There is no challenge to building a powerful and fast, kit car with one though, and that, for me, is boring.  

Taking a humble 1982 pinto from a cortina and having it make cossie levels of power, and as I said, with plenty of headroom left too, but for now 275+bhp (we had wheel spin on the dyno, so it’s probably nearer 300bhp) and 240lbft of torque, all in a setup where it will happily rev to 8k and is worth doing so because the torque doesn’t drop off like most turbo setups, that is far more fun than fitting something everyone expects to be fast.