master cylinder

mwspit1500

hi

i have fitted a Fiat Punto master cylinder, i've bled the brakes and is no air in the system, test drove and the brakes are rubbish,

punto.jpg.2e2e880c9848da6d7e4566ab157ae188.jpg 

do i have the pipes in the right place?

Mark 

Edited by mwspit1500

Slightly smaller than the sierra one then, so should be better, but possibly still a little on the large size.  If you are only used to driving cars with servo assisted brakes it will be quite a shock to the system to drive a servo-less setup - I am assuming you dont have a servo?  They will take a lot more leg effort to work, but should be able to lock the wheels.

my old setup was servo-less, i've done some research  and i have probably got some air in the master cylinder, i didn't fit a bleed nipple to it just a pipe with some solider in the end, i'm just unsure if the pipes are in the right holes.

mark  

They are usually shown as the pic below. Split system, tandem pistons, pressure reducers? on rears. Intended connections are one front and one rear to each piston and thus equal displacement for each piston (near as makes no odds). You have one piston working two disc calipers for the fronts (lots of fluid) and one piston working two drum slaves for the rears (little fluid). When the piston currently feeding the rears has shifted its fluid and the rear brakes are hard on both pistons stop. Quickest check for this is swap the rear and one front connector on the master cylinder and bleed then try the brakes. Volumes each piston needs to shift would be closer but not equal so watch out for uneven braking, pull to one side etc, but I would hope more effective braking. Don't know if you need to use the reducers or not. First try without but be careful.cyl2.thumb.JPG.889389232bcd25f36974b1f9c7aaf548.JPG

If so then I would re-plumb with the pressure reducers going to the rears as indicated so the MC works as intended. Yes you would need two lines to the rears. Benefit is the safety of a genuine split system.

Edited by Longboarder