Zetec Megasquirt

gncgray

Evening all.

Not been on for a while so its good to be back. I haven't been able to sort the car out as I have had an illness for the past few years but all ok now.

The car is running megasquirt ecu with GBS plenum. I keep finding conflicting views so I would like your knowledge on this. Can I run it without a cat and lambda sensor. It has past it iva with both. 

The reason I ask this as I am in the process of rebuilding the car after a strip down.

Regards

Graham   

Guest SFX-Joe

If you take your car to a nice friendly independent MOT centre they will probably pass it for you. They know that's kits aren't always perfect and so are generally a bit more lenient to things like emissions. I think officially you should have a CAT but that's 'officially'. A bit like mine with no side mirrors, official I should have them.... I don't. Never have. Yet passes each time.

I had just fitted a new pairs of Weber 45s to my engine before my last MOT. The emissions were way over but he passed it and said check your timing and tune the carbs down a bit. 

Of course this is not always the case but any MOT tester with a few years mechanical engineering behind them should understand the Cache 22.

As for the sensor, not needed in most cases so I would be confident to say remove it. My mate runs a Zetec with out one and has no problems. Im guessing but might get a few less MPG without it fitted as ECU will be thinking its broken or faulty? Total guess that one.

3 hours ago, tractor said:

maybe you can write a fuel map for the MOT and one for after then no need for cat  

Unlikely, unfortunately. If it went through the IVA with a cat, then the emissions requirements will be relatively stringent and it would be impossible to get it through them without one fitted. Ultimately it depends what the requirements are on the V5...

• 2 years later...

Morniing guys I have a 1.8 Zetec fitted with focus 12 cams and zx10r tb's.I  am about to go for IVA. I have a cat and Lamba will my MS/1 {i think it is) be able to tune down to current emissions as i believe they go on the engine year{crate Engine 200miles old) when trying to get an IVA.??