Fuel line

nelmo

Trying to get some R9 fuel line and it feels like any R9 for sale is fake. Mine is only 2 or 3 years old but I have a misfire that may be due to dirt in injectors (it comes and goes), I sometimes open the garage to a strong petrol smell but no obvious leaks and there are small cracks in the HP fuel lines. I'm guessing my R9 is also fake? 🙄

Anyone know where I can be sure to get the real stuff? I've seen posts elsewhere warning off all the sites I can find that sell it...must be some way of getting/telling the real stuff?

4 hours ago, theduck said:

Lots of reports online that their r9 fuel hose is the same as the eBay fake stuff. 

Yes, I read those as well - and same for several other contenders...

1 hour ago, tractor said:

got my braided fuel line from car builder solutions not had any problems so far 

That's only R7 though...

Do we think that R7 from a 'trusted' site ie. Halfords (you may scoff but high street, corporate, won't do fake stuff, don't even offer R9) is better than fake R9? Yes, I'd imagine...?

R7 isn’t ethanol safe and as almost all fuel has ethanol in it in the uk now I wouldn’t want to use it.

i am in two minds at the moment, as this is something I want to look at on mine over winter, and either I’ll look at something like Goodridge 210 series or a more generic Teflon lined braided hose. 

Edited by theduck

If you don't need the flexibility, NHF (well, Racing Lines, which are a subcompany out of the same unit) will do braided teflon lines as well as R9 rubber hose. I use it on the competition car. BFG-copy fittings. The other source I used to use was Think Auto for genuine BFG stuff. Not sure braided line front to back is really justified on a road car but, hey, whatever people want to use ;)

• Thanks 1

I would imagine real R9 would not look like this after 2 years and 6k miles? 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9cz9JC51Wdt4zisE9

Admittedly, that is on a bend in the HP lines, the same bend in the LP circuit looks fine. Those cracks go about halfway through the pipe:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fYPTVWV9zn5p3svC7

When I drained the fuel out the swirl pot and fuel rail, there were a couple of small (1mm) rubber bits - not sure if that would be enough to block an injector? 

I've ordered new lines from CBS which are DIN rated and say ethanol proof and a filter for the HP circuit. See if it makes any difference...