Pinto air filter

NickandNeil

I have asked for advice on this before but the respose was very limited.  I purchased a Exmo with a pinto engine.  There was no air filter fitted, just a flat plate covering the air intake which was about 40 mm above the carb intake.  I purched a low profile filter 45mm which I was told was the lowest profile you could fit on a Pinti withour restricting the airflow.  However when the bonnet is fitted even that fouls against it.

Did the first owner of the vehicle use the flat plate covering the air intake because you cannot fit a filter without modifing the bonnet?  Surely someone has come across this problem before, any advice would be most appreciated.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, SFX-Joe said:

What length manifold do you have? I have seen this setup with a filter on before a while back so it must be possible. Have you got any images?

There is a picture of the manifold attached, and also the plate that seperates it from the manifold.

pic manifold.JPG

pic manifold plate.JPG

It prevents heat soak from the manifold to the carb. Without it you might get hot start issues because the fuel in the carb can evaporate. If you've not got a mechanical pump, you'll probably be OK because the engine doesn't need to be cranked repeatedly to fill the carb. 

• 2 months later...