Possible misfiring ?

m1tch

Evening all, I hope somebody can help here.  I’ve driven my car to work - 120miles from home - As I've done a good handful of times.  It has the 2.0l zetec engine which was brand new when I bought it. And the standard plenum and GBS cooling system.  There are just under 3000miles on the clock and on my drive down last night it felt like it was less powerful than normal and on a few occasions was juddering and just didn’t feel right.  

Today the same thing but only did 20 miles. The rev counter is bouncing while still and three times it nearly cut out while idling at traffic lights - I just caught it with a bit of gas.  There is also a slight smell of fuel which isn’t normally there. It also doesn’t sound right.

i think it is misfiring somewhere but the key thing for me is the fact all of this started about 20 mins after filling up 3/4 of a tank. It was BP normal petrol and defo not diesel so not a miss-fuel. 

Anyone got any ideas?  I’m thinking drain as much fuel as possible and try a new tank full? Or is there something more simple to try first? Got about half a tank of fuel left.

thank you In advance 

Edited by m1tch

I've got a similar problem ( see my post in this section). 

I've changed HT leads,  plugs,  coil pack,  still no fix. My last resort is changing the fuel lines and adding a filter on the HP circuit because I drained the swirl pot and got a few tiny bits of rubber out which were maybe blocking the injectors and causing the misfire?

If that doesn't work,  not sure what else to do...

Edited by nelmo

Hey, thanks for the reply. I’d read your post and hoped my issue wouldn’t be as drastic.

my fuel pump (HP) is making a louder, and slightly abnormal sound which is matching up to the juddering. I think it may be that, but still got 120miles to get home and not sure if it’s worth the risk before fixing it. 

Considering a new HP pump and fuel filter at the moment...

Nelmo, I slept on my issue last night going through what it could be and the thing that kept coming back to me was the fuel station 15-20 mins before my problem started.  Decided to drive the car until it had 1/4 ish of a tank left then full with half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and a full tank of high octane fuel. 

I cracked on with my trip and the problem remained the same - BUT only for 15-20 mins. It then went away, just as it had appeared. I’m hoping and assuming the “dodgy” fuel mixed with the new and the cleaner and it is all sorted. Traffic was horrific so spent another 3 hours driving but has been perfect ever since. 

Might be worth a try for £5?

I tried a fuel additive when I first got the problem but it didn't help me.

I've just changed my fuel lines and, more importantly, added a filter after the HP pump (details in my latest blog post) and, touch wood, my misfire seems to be gone.