been offered a 2b, need advice please.

Guest daz7505

Not to mention all the bits you will look at and go hells teeth what we're they thinking of? I bought a completed car that had been on the road for years and believe me there were plenty of those. Every time I went to change something I found something else that needed attention.  It's a massive sinkhole for time and money when you could be out driving. Have a look around for something that is already finished and has been on the road for a while, you will get plenty of chance to stamp your mark on it. Don't get me wrong I like a tinker but there are limits. At the end of the day it's your time and money and whatever you decide to do nobody will have a go at you for it, there will always be plenty of help available on here if you need it. At least you are looking for a car at the best time of the year for buyers!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, dandan62 said:

Interesting one just put on fleabay starting at 1k. Already registered. I wonder what price it will go for? It will give a good idea of where the market is maybe .

Make it easy for everybody https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robin-Hood-kit-car/392408341767?hash=item5b5d5c1d07:g:4uMAAOSwUPxda7ys

Guest daz7505
4 hours ago, phaeton said:

I'm sure he does, not worth anything near that, look at completed listings on Fleecebay, £1K max. IVA is £500, plus a re-test (£100) they nearly always need a re-test, then you have to register another £120 so you're already well over £3K you can get a fully finished running one for that kind of money.

Im going to look at this one later today. I have no intention of paying what he's asking. From the pictures it looks really tidy, but then until i see it in the flesh, i won't know for sure. I've been going through all the iva docs and the iva posts on here, so do plan on pointing out stuff that will need to be done/ rectified before iva test. It's also in a colour scheme i like, chrome with bright red panels, red dash, red and black seats. He's mentioned a couple of things, wipers and hazards need sorting. I've noticed there is no wing mirrors or side repeaters. I will be looking out for things like the tre cover, not covers, markings on the windscreen, markings on the seat belt bolts. If im the an hour looking over it, then im there an hour. I may still walk away if I'm not happy. 

Quick question, I've been recommended not to transport it back to my garage using an A frame as it can damage the transmission. Anyone able to clear this up. Am i going to have to disconnect the prop before towing? 

10 minutes ago, daz7505 said:

Quick question, I've been recommended not to transport it back to my garage using an A frame as it can damage the transmission. Anyone able to clear this up. Am i going to have to disconnect the prop before towing? 

Without opening the can of worms about the legality of towing it on an A frame, unless it's an auto there should be no reason it would damage the transmission.

Guest daz7505
15 minutes ago, phaeton said:

Without opening the can of worms about the legality of towing it on an A frame, unless it's an auto there should be no reason it would damage the transmission.

Thanks

6 hours ago, daz7505 said:

The only possible reason for this that I can think of, assuming it's manual, is that by lifting it up at the front you cause oil in the transmission to run to the back of the gearbox and reduce the lubrication on the layshaft. If the gearbox was low on oil I guess this is possible but if it's got the appropriate amount of oil in it, I doubt you'll be lifting it to sufficient an angle to really cause that much of an issue, to be honest...!? Unless someone knows for definite otherwise?

32 minutes ago, IanS said:

I would be suprised if ford did not design for 1in3 hills.

The angle of a suspended tow will be less than this wnd there will be no power going through the box when being towed unlike going up a steep hill.

If it's on an A-Frame & not a Dolly then the angle is exactly the same as if the vehicle was driving under it's own power, I have used both & towed cars multiple thousands of miles without any issues, both RWD cars & mid transverse engined cars. Also the AA & RAC use the dolly type to move disabled cars to a convenient point before putting on a flatback.

I believe it is an auto from what i have read, I know that when Auto broke down and had to be towed RAC would not do it with the Dolly/A frame and had to get a flatbed. I would have thought if you are disconnecting the prop it wouldn't be an issue. But i have no knowledge of this and not an expert so please don't take my opinion as fact lol.