Looking for parts

Guest Daniel Black

Guest Daniel Black

Morning. I am completing a 2005 super spec and a few pieces are missing. The car is new from purchase but was never finished. It has the rover 2l fuel injection motor. I need the front fender brackets and the exhaust silencer with heat shield holder. I hope that makes sense. I will send pics if needed. Thanks in advance 

Hi, welcome to the Club and it's nice to see another Superspec owner.  We have 15 current owners on the forum so there is plenty of experience for you to draw on.   You might find it useful to read my blog (link in my signature) which details my experience in the 6+ years I have owned mine.  In particular it covers fixes for some of the basic design flaws of the car.   I also have a large amount of documentation for the engine, if you want copies just PM me your e-mail address.

Unfortunately I am going to crash at the first hurdle as I have no idea what you mean by 'front fender brackets'.  So I guess I do need the photo 😀

Al

Guest Daniel Black

I have so many questions. I was just going through your Blogspot which is extremely informative. I have included a picture showing the front tyre with steel brackets attached to the upper suspension arm but no brackets to attach the fender.

IMG_5021.jpg

1.  OK, see what you mean.   These are not Superspec-specific, all the cars with Sierra front hubs have the same system.  Not sure if those have an 'official' designation, basically they are just a length of pipe that fits over the bracket, is bent through 90 degs and then the wing is either stuck to them with Sikaflex or bolted on.   Here is a picture of mine.  You will see I have used the 'bolt' method.  Also, it's difficult to see but my original builder drilled holes through the pipe and the mounting brackets to make a good solid fit.

1.jpg.48e07b29c7d3a5cf9d3f2c1806e1dcf3.jpg

2.  There is no bell end at the other end, it is simply the end of the silencer.  I have replaced my heat shield with a bespoke one, but I am sure there are other owners who still have the standard silencer they can show you.   And I'm afraid I have no idea where Robin Hood sourced the silencer, but to be honest any silencer should do.  Here is mine, and as you may have read in my blog, I have blocked off one of the outlets as I find the engine runs much better with a bit more back pressure.

2.jpg.47c262e1d06661ac8aea049f4f722a12.jpg

3.  My original builder was one of a very few people who fitted the windscreen pre-IVA.  I suspect because he didn't realise the consequences (it meant he had to fit wipers, washers and demisters as well)  I am sure everyone on the forum would recommend you do NOT fit the windscreen until after the IVA.

Al

Heres my exhaust and cycle wing stay. The exhaust heat shield is just a piece of stainless steel wrapped around the cat and silencer and bolted together underneath. I think you can get combined stainless exhausts with a built in cat (which is what I may do to mine when it fails).

The cycle wing stays are as Alan said just a piece of metal tube bent at an angle with the wings screwed/bolted/glued to them.

Anymore photos just ask

batch_IMG_20190910_142055.jpg

batch_IMG_20190910_142125.jpg

Fit a windscreen,wipers,washers & dare I say a heater. Its not difficult to get through IVA test with all the bits & pieces you will undoubtedly need if motoring in GB.

We obtained a first time pass with all the above, & probably leads to Florin being used in all weathers. 

This is us in France a few years ago in rather damp conditions!!!

DSCF6918.JPG

Guest Daniel Black

Ok so my next issue is on the throttle body rubber mount which is broken and stalls the car. eBay is not coming up with the item, maybe it’s called another name. Any ideas or 2nd hand ones around?

ECE529BF-2A11-479D-BEBD-8197C9FF0CF2.jpeg

Rimmer Bros should always be your first call for all things Rover.   They are showing a 'throttle body to intake seal' at https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR024989.   There isn't a picture so you need to call them to confirm it's the right bit.

Also, I know Dean (deano266) had to replace the same item so I would drop him a message asking where he got it.

Cheers

Al

I'm not sure the part that Al has quoted is correct for the T-series engine, as that link is for the RR Evoque.

I think it should be this one on the Rimmer page for the Rover 800 https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004682

Item no 4 on the diagram and in the list, p/n JZV1085 - Mounting-multi point injection throttle body flexible.  But it's not a cheap bit of rubber!!

Throttle body rubber mount.  Mine came unstuck too - just stickaflexed it back together.

The front fender brackets originally came as one single piece of tubing all bent with many angles.  The builder had to cut it up into four pieces (two forward supports, two rear supports).

-steve