IVA Steering Shaft Angle

FERRINO

Hi all - Can anybody confirm what the IVA man requires for steering shaft angle please (or is it as I suspect one of those very woolly areas that varies from tester to tester)?

I'm fairly sure my whole steering arrangement is going to need pulling out and re-doing again 😢. Tried to take a couple of pics tonight to show roughly what it looks like and marked the approx difference in angle between the rack and the shaft (marked as red lines on below pic):-

cPMUmLy.jpg

sL0qOyu.jpg

bG0cgYW.jpg

The rack has approx 115mm of travel from the collapsible triangle section - plus the collapsible section of the Sierra upper column. I also have a collapsible steering boss.

The shaft is also only about 5mm clear of the exhaust manifold and only approx 1-2mm clear of the chassis rail which is another reason I think it's all got to come out.😧

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by FERRINO

My 2b also only cleared the manifold by about 5mm but nothing was mentioned. I know he had a good look at the steering rack as he noticed I’d forgot to fold the tabs over on the locking washer on the triangular joint. Mine went through Iva last summer but most likely depends on the tester. 

On another note they may pick up on that brake pipe running directly over the manifold if the fluid boils not good. I routed mine from the tunnel and turned it right along the servo mounting plate then brought it down the chassis rail to the master cylinder then went to the scrap yard and pulled off the aluminium exhaust heat sheid from under a car and cut it up and Formed it into shape between the servo/master and the manifold to prevent heat soak. 

Hi Magh - Many thanks for the reply. Does your steering have more 'angle' on it than mine?

Thanks for the heads up re:the brake pipe. I am planning on wrapping the exhaust and fitting a heat deflector plate also. Also think the picture from above maybe makes it look a little closer than it is? Have you got a piccy at all of the route your pipe takes please? It would be a real pain to have to redo the brake lines at this point so am now very worried about this too 😖.

Cheers

Tony

1uLlhwV.jpg 

AyjLhHC.jpg

rCFqOog.jpg

No I’d say it’s very similar I shall take a photo tomorrow night when I’m in the garage for you. 

Yes those photos dont don’t look anywhere as close to the manifold lol maybe loose the cable tie for the throttle cable on the brake pipe too. It’s all the silly little things they will look for. 

Thanks Dan - That's encouraging. I'm guessing my IVA will be at the same test center as you did yours as we are pretty close so that's good to hear.

I guess the steering was designed properly on the Zero though and has more of a visible angle? Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing?

If it does all have to come out and have multiple sections/bearing blocks and large angles introduced I'd rather now before it gets presented.

Thanks for the replies chaps - it really does help to hear that it wasn't probed in too much depth by people who have been through IVA/SVA.

It's Annex 1 of the section in the IVA manual that's worrying me a little as it mentions that an angle less than 10 degrees would have little effect at deflecting the column away from the driver.

However - the main page of the protective steering section has 5 conditions that 'must' be met to pass. Number 4 states:-

"The vehicle and steering column assembly must be designed such in the event of a frontal impact at 48km/h (30mph) the rearward horizontal displacement and vertical displacement of the top of the steering column and it's shaft do not exceed 127mm. The vehicle should be assessed using the material in Annex 1."

My reading of that is that if the column has less than 127mm displacement then the tester should use the info in Annex 1 to determine if it will be acceptable or not?

I have more than 127mm of 'collapsible' section - so hopefully the tester wouldn't even need to refer to Annex 1 - Is that how other people read this or have I got it wrapped round my neck lol?

Cheers

Tony

My honest answer is I don't think they go to that level of detail, since the car "is what it is" there's not really much you can do about it anyway. Obviously there's an inference that the car design is 'right' or the manufacturer has done lots of crash testing to mitigate failure to meet the design suggestion but... yeah, like that's happened :). I was always told "make sure you fit a collapsable column from the Sierra donor" and that was it; requirements met. I'm not saying that's the hard-line truth as far as the IVA guidelines go, but from a practical perspective, I doubt there's really much else you can do about it. I suspect the testers just see a car that's done to a common design, check that the builder hasn't gone and done something away-from-the-norm in terms of the steering column (ie. it's as GBS intended), includes the collapsable section from the Sierra and that's it - they're most likely happy.