Radiator fan switch

Guest Daniel Black

Guest Daniel Black

So attached is what I believe is the standard fan switch that should trigger when the temperature reaches its set +-90deg. Should I use this or go aftermarket like other builders have.

ECA21FD3-8F7E-4919-AB69-E2A2C9FC243E.jpeg

Guest Daniel Black

So if that’s the case, I assume having read up, that I can simply take my 12v fan supply and loop it through the thermostat switch and presto it heats up and allows the 12v to flow to the fan. Is that correct?

It's worth trying, but it might switch the fan at the wrong temperature. The Superspec radiator originally came from a Rover SD1 2L which was mounted horizontally, but in the Superspec it's vertical, albeit at an angle. That means in the Rover the thermostatic switch was at the top of the radiator in hot water. In the Spec it's going to be at the bottom where the cooler water exits.

If you have an emerald ecu or similar you can use that to pull in a rad fan relay. Not only can you specify the exact turn on temperature that way but you can set the hysteresis to your own spec. Might sound overkill but it’s infinitely adjustable at the push of a button if you decide it’s running too hot or cool.