Less sierra fuel

Davo

So for about 6 months since stupidly taking off the old fuel sender and integrated fuel line I’ve been battling to remake a good seal. Almost there but now considering other options. I’ll try link some photos but I’ll try to explain. The integrated fuel sender and line consists of a not flat disc which badly fits onto the aperture on the top of the fuel tank. It has the sender and fuel pipes integrated into it. 

If I bought a fuel sender kit these are actually flat I see and would probably make a far better seal. But then that leaves me with no way to get the fuel out. It’s a mechanical pump off the engine to pull the fuel. What’s the normal way to get the fuel out? The tank seems to have a welded lid so I can’t easily see what’s available in the way of apertures. I did notice a bolt in the top.  Could this be for a fuel line? I’m resistant to turning this bolt in fear I’ll do more damage as before. 

is there any advice on the normal way to get fuel out the tank?https://share.icloud.com/photos/0qPuVkapMmDU5X2Q47CzwBr1Q

Another way would involve you having to swap out the tank, which I'm guessing you wouldn't want to do 🙂.

The more modern way is a tank which has outlets at the bottom of the tank, with a low pressure electric pump that sucks the petrol out, into a swirl pot. Very different setup... 

Edited by nelmo

Yeah I really didn’t fancy pulling the tank out and starting again :( 

I was hoping there might have been some kind of hacker or flange that would allow me to drop a pipe inside similar to the one already in place 

The fuel sender unit would be the best place to get the furl out. One of these connected to the fuel pipe will get most of the fuel out. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-fuel-transfer-tool-8mm/85358

The part you have in the top of the tank looks like a Sierra unit bodged to fit. I'd be inclined to get it out and try and make something that seals better. The will probably involve a new  cork or rubber gasket and 6 fixings instead of 4.

Worst case scenario... count the miles and carry a can. However, I have seen sender units that are perfectly flat and would fit the current aperture far better than the Sierra twist and lock one I have.  My issue would be fuel supply as the current one integrates the sender unit and the fuel line. 

Well

almost one of those. Without the electric fuel pump built in. Mine just has a long tube that goes down into the tank with a filter on the end.  The pump is mechanical off the engine.  I just don’t know what to search for to describe that. 

Chris's post & pic looks to be exactly what we fitted to Florin when we had fuel delivery/vapour locks in fuel lines due to under bonnet temperature ( & the injection pump being in the engine bay )  Think it was from a Fiesta, but no idea of year.

It will be fine on any fuel set up provided there is a fuel return pipe to the tank.